Saturday, October 07, 2006

woman testing microphones at AES event

I took this yesterday at the AES convention at the Moscone Center. This woman was testing microphones in the Neumann booth.

For this photo, I was across an isle and shot it without flash, but through the glass panel of the semi isolation booth. Was using a Lumix FZ3 @ 400, probably 2.8 and 1/30th or slower. Posted by Picasa















ok, found out how to edit. So I'm still using Picassa, though am planning on checking out elements any week now ... With Picassa, there are no or few area selection tools, so to remove or hide the reflection above, I had to take extreme measures with saturation and/or shadows, and soft focus (Well, maybe not all, or as much of all, but this is how it ended up...). I'm still on the fence about digital editing. You gain something novel, and possibly a better presentation for the viewer, but you also detract from what you originally saw important enough to capture. I do like the straightening, ropping, fill, basic features of Picassa though, so maybe what I'm trying to say is I'm on the fence about "extreme" digital makeovers, such as I've done here, and on the smart car earlier.

5 Comments:

Blogger Warren T. said...

Nice candid grab shot, Ted.

It looks like she's in a studio recording session.

You can practice your editing skills by removing the reflection from over her right eye. :)

The IS works pretty well.

--Warren

Sunday, October 8, 2006 at 8:29:00 AM PDT  
Blogger tedm said...

Thanks Warren,

I did a soft focus and saturation edit, but I don't see how to upload or link here in the comments??

Yes, the IS works great, according to the EXIF info., it was 1/13th of a second, f2.8, 400.

Sunday, October 8, 2006 at 2:00:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Lea said...

Hi Ted,

You have a good point about losing the essence of your photograph with extreme editing. But to me, this is very similar to recording pieces of songs separately and putting it all together to make something that others will enjoy. The final product is indeed not what we started with, but it is in many cases better than the sum of its parts.

So perhaps after exploring some digital editing facets, you will find ways to both keep that initial significance you spotted and improve the novelty of the photograph.

Best of luck :)

Monday, October 9, 2006 at 9:48:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Personally, I'm not a fan of extreme digital manipulation. Of the two images, I prefer the first one with the reflection over the eye. :)

--WT

Monday, October 9, 2006 at 6:31:00 PM PDT  
Blogger tedm said...

Thanks Lea and Warren, that's a good analogy and good advice.

Monday, October 9, 2006 at 7:56:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment