Sunday, June 10, 2012

Sunset out the Back Window

D200, Nikkor 300mm f4.5

That's right, it was taken with a D200. I almost bought Joe's D200 recently, but Dolph was kind enough to send me his very lightly used D200 for me to play with because as you know, I never met an old camera I didn't like.

I received it Friday, and Friday after work, I unpacked it, and found that there was a little juice left in its battery so I started to play with different lenses on the camera, and also to get familiar with operating it.

I looked out the window and saw that the sun was setting so I threw the 300mm on it, and couldn't immediately figure out how to set focal length and max aperture on the D200 because I only handled the camera for about 5 minutes.

Even so, I still managed to grab this shot before the sun set completely. I later found that the D200 has a programmable function button that I programmed to let me quickly set FL and Max aperture whenever I change to a non-cpu lens. The ability to matrix meter with my old Nikkor ai/ais lenses is one of the features that I really wanted, but was not available on my ancient D100. But this ancient D200 has the feature, and a bunch of other improvements over my D100 that I can really appreciate.

I'll talk more about the D200 later, but suffice to say that the camera is rather beastly compared to the Micro 4/3 cameras that I've been using for the last couple of years.

Dan, we'll need to schedule another photo walk soon so that I can give you the 200 Micro, and also so I can check out your D800e.

--Warren

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Lea said...

Millions of miles away, that cute ball is chucking flames at us. I love the strange edges you've caught. :)

Sunday, June 10, 2012 at 2:50:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Steve Rosenbach said...

Great photo, Warren, and great comment, Lea!

Dolph, any other Nikon DSLRs you'd like to send away? ;-)

Sunday, June 10, 2012 at 6:30:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment