Thursday, June 07, 2012

New Camera

First day with the new Nikon d800e, since I have not used a Nikon since my time with a F2 and have not used a dslr for several years, my learning curve is very steep, but here are some initial impressions:

Weight and balance are not quite to my liking.  My hand does not find the main dial in front of the shutter easily.  I only have one lens for the rig at this time and it is a behemoth 70-200 f2.8.  It does have VR so these posts are reasonably sharp.
The features on this camera are really impressive.  I have not used the live view focusing yet, but want to try that out this weekend on some close up images.  Focus lock and moving the point of focus while keeping the composition is really neat.  So is the Auto ISO.
Obviously the resolving capabilities of this sensor are yet to be fully realized by me, and will take some time to bring it all into play, but the bee and the hummingbird are 100% crops.  Native images are coming into PS at 16 x 24 inches at 300 dpi.  The files are a whopping 200 mb.  Color seems good, these are not post processed at all except for the cropping.  All images captured in Raw 14 bit. 




Dan

4 Comments:

Blogger Warren T. said...

200mb files!!! yikes!

the test shots look great. I look forward to seeing more. Thanks for first impressions review.

--Warren

Friday, June 8, 2012 at 7:41:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Lea said...

That kitty fang scares me! :O Could be a bobcat.

Friday, June 8, 2012 at 3:52:00 PM PDT  
Blogger dan in marin said...

Snagglepuss is a big softy, not to worry Lea.

Dan

Saturday, June 9, 2012 at 7:03:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Lea said...

Ha! Looking at it again, I'm not sure I can believe it! Maybe it is half vampire.

Saturday, June 9, 2012 at 7:59:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment