Saturday, June 02, 2012

Absorbing myself into the surroundings. From inside a bubble.

What do you all think about documentary style photography?

It feels a big commitment to document and become absorbed into a totally new society and allow time and experience to earn trust. But once you do, I think it's a feeling of the rewards being worth it. Well, that is how I picture it anyways.. from some work I have seen of others. In general.

I spent 5 weeks in Chile, alongside my dad. He was there for work and we enjoyed the weekends as visitors. I came to visit him, but also to see a new place with my camera and see how it feels that way. Paranoid of losing photos before I returned home, I even opened myself to writing and keeping a travel log to remember things that I might otherwise forget.

Here is one place and one evening. I read the poem to my dad and he laughed and said I will not forget this place. We were lost on rural roads, it was pouring rain, and finally after much concern, we made it to our destination... this muddy muddy farm!

I really enjoy seeing these animal characters of the farm, each with different freedoms and responsibilities.





May Rain in Río Bueno
Brown workhorse in the pearl light
It's 5pm and the sun is dropping
Not like the rain drops
It is slow
Parked the cart and now you wait
Shaking your mane when I look at you
Yellow rubber men walk around
They talk about
They move bags and bins
Jumping from wagon to mud
Workhorse, you're licking your nose
The soggy ropes hang on either side
The dogs wander behind your backside
White one, the little bandit dog
Ghostly, how is it that the only black
On your body are the circles
Surrounding your eyes
Blue sky darkens in the horizon
Many more moments
So patiently the workhorse waits
The rain is still steady

5 Comments:

Blogger dan in marin said...

Big fan of doc photography, and your example is very well done. I wish I read your poem before looking at the image because it sets the mood so well for the great scene you have captured. Do more of this it is great

Dan

Sunday, June 3, 2012 at 11:27:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Lea said...

Thanks Dan, really appreciate it :)

Monday, June 4, 2012 at 1:47:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Warren T. said...

I think your ideas about documentary photography are on target, and I agree with them. I really enjoyed your picture and poem together. I love the sense of action that the two little dogs provide. Actually, I like everything about this picture. :)

Over the years, I have, on occasion, been inspired to post a picture with a poem. I think we should all try do more posts of this flavor (pictures with poem or prose).

I look forward to seeing (and reading) more of this.

--Warren

Monday, June 4, 2012 at 11:24:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Lea said...

Thanks very much Warren! The photo was taken in the midst of writing.. en plein air.. finishing what is started right there on the spot. :)

Can you point me to your previous poem/picture pairings? If you try more of them it would be great to see, too!

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 at 3:02:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Here's one (it's the most recent one, and the only one I remember at the moment):

There were no comments on it, which left me wondering what to make of the silence... ambivalence or whatever...but I like the concept of pairing pictures with poetry.

And it doesn't have to be strictly in the context of documentary photography, it can be for any inspiration that might come along.

Remember folks, no specific rules on this photoblog.

Here's the link:

http://fpcf.blogspot.com/2010/08/sweet-freedom.html



--Warren

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 at 3:35:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment