Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Las Vegas Photo Series

All shots were taken with the Olympus XA2 and Ilford XP2 Super film. I really enjoyed using the XA2. Its lens has interesting characteristics. Let me know which pics you like in particular.

BTW, I used Walgreens to process the 36 exposure roll for $6.75 total, no prints, scanned to CD only. The scanning job was mediocre, but adequate for showing the pics on the web. I can always scan the negatives on my film scanner for more critical usage.

--Warren

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greg and Curtis. We just checked into the hotel, relaxing a bit before going out again:



View from our hotel room at the Aladdin:



Las Vegas "Great Santa Run":



"Up Escalator" I was intentionally going after a blur effect:



Walking through an older part of Vegas towards the "strip":



Older part of the "Strip", I'm not sure what happened to the picture just above the "Ace Pawn" sign. I think it may be a result of the mediocre scanning job by Walgreens:



Pedestrians dwarfed by the Riviera:



Coffee Break at the Wynn: (Ray, Greg, me, Dennis, Curtis)



Steath shot taken at the Sports Book area (no cell phones or recording devices allowed):



Stealth shot and partial self portrait at the Sports Book area. I braced the camera on the chair and estimated the framing. Note the alien being over my right shoulder :)



Wedding Ceremony at the Venetian:



Grand Canal replica complete with Gondolas at the Venetian:



The Plight of the Air Traveler. This is a shot of Ray and Greg waiting with me at the terminal for the flight home. Our flight was delayed for three hours, and we were trapped there:

4 Comments:

Blogger SteveR said...

Warren - thanks for the great set of pictures from your las vegas trip. That little Olympus is a great camera - we bought one for my father-in-law some years ago - I shot a few photos with it myself and thought it was a fabulous shooter - and very well-built and well-designed. Your earlier post about the camera was great.

P.S. - Don't spread this around - I have a (well-deserved) reputation of being an ultra-loyal Microsoft groupie... but lately I've become bi-curious, and finally got a CD of the Ubuntu distribution of Linux. I'm running it right now on an older PC (1gHz Athlon) - I used the option to boot from the CD-ROM - nothing actually gets installed - a very cool try-it-out-without-risk thing -- and everything seems to work fine - video, sound, internet, etc - I can even browse folders on my other Windows PCs. I'm very impressed!

I'm sending this post via the PC that's running Ubuntu Linux, using the included Firefox browser. Everything configured automagically, by the way - I didn't have to do anything - just let the CD boot and run for a few minutes.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 at 7:42:00 PM PST  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Thanks Steve. I'm blown away by the quality of the little XA2. The lens does show some vignetting in certain situations, but I don't mind. The AE is also very consistent and reliable which gives one confidence in using it.

Which verion of Ubuntu did you get? I may give it a try too, out of curiosity :).

--Warren

Friday, December 15, 2006 at 9:19:00 AM PST  
Blogger Warren T. said...

One other pleasant surprise, the floating framelines in the viewfinder appear to be very accurate too. What I envisioned in the viewfinder was pretty much what I ended up with on the negative.

--Warren

Friday, December 15, 2006 at 9:23:00 AM PST  
Blogger Dolph Brust said...

OK....someone send me a message about the trip to Vegas, I'll show up.....

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 at 5:19:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment