Tuesday, December 12, 2006

A Classic 35mm P&S, the Olympus XA2

One day, I was cruising the advertisements on Craigslist.org when I spotted an ad for a pair of unwanted, old school 35mm P&S cameras. The seller wanted $2 each (!). The cameras were a Nikon L35AF and this Olympus XA2. I recognized that they were both significant, old-school P&S cameras. The Nikon L35AF was Nikon's first AF P&S camera, and it was significant for its commercial success, and it's very sharp lens and built-in automation. The ultra-compact Olympus XA2 is a version of the groundbreaking XA, which was an award winning design in its day. While the original XA had a built-in rangefinder and manual exposure capabilities, this XA2 was simplified, only offering zone focusing and programmed AE.

I've read about these cameras, but I never had the pleasure of owning one. So, I immediately emailed the seller that I wanted to buy them. They were both represented to be in working condition. At $2 each, I thought I'd take a chance. As it turned out, I got them by bartering a set of old but still working cordless telephones. So I got them for basically nothing!

Unfortunately, the Nikon L35AF turned out to be broken. It loaded the test roll okay, but there is a problem with the film transport, and the pop-up flash did not pop up. I think the camera was dropped at some point which caused the malfunction. I'll either take it apart out of curiousity, or I'll offer it up for parts somewhere.

On the other hand, the XA2 seemed to be in much better shape. The 2 button cell batteries in the camera were still good. This was a good sign. The case showed just a little wear, but the lens glass (35mm f3.5) was clean and clear. The camera also came with a separate, nicely integrated flash unit. Here are some significant features of the XA2:

- Ultra compact design, an award-winning masterpiece of industrial engineering
- 35mm f3.5 lens, excellent 4-element Tessar design
- First P&S to incorporate a built-in, sliding cover. There is no need for a lens cover or camera case.
- Ultra-light touch, electronic shutter release
- Center weighted, programmed auto-exposure ( 2 sec at f/3.5 to 1/750 sec at f/14 )
- ISO range: 25 - 800
- 3 focus zones, close-up(3.3 to 5ft), general purpose (4ft. - Inf.), and landscape (8.3ft - Inf.)
- Extremely well integrated, detachable external flash

Purists and collectors may favor the XA for its rangefinder focusing and its aperture priority AE, but shooters would love the XA2. With the zone focusing set to the general setting, and the programmed AE, you are free to concentrate on getting the shot. This may be the ultimate stealthy street camera. There is no "zip-zip" of AF, and no whirring of a motorized film transport, so this camera is VERY quiet to operate. Film advance and shutter cocking is accomplished via a knob winder, similar to a modern day disposable camera. Film rewind is also via a knob. The XA2's lens and AE system are reportedly better performers than the original XA.

I was confident enough in the condition of the untested XA2 to take it on my recent Las Vegas trip as my only camera, and I was not disappointed. I will be posting a series of shots from Vegas, and also of the short session at Stow Lake where I went to finish off the roll of film. I had a large nunber of "keeper" shots from my first roll! :)

If you still shoot film, and you come across one of these little jewels at a yard sale or online, I recommend that you buy it!

I hope you enjoyed my little write-up on the XA2.

--Warren

(Photos of the XA2 taken with Nikon D100, 24mm f2.8)

This is the XA2 next to a 35mm film canister for size reference:



This is the XA2 with the A11 flash unit mounted:



This is "Poppy", my cousin's dog. We were babysitting him last week. This is the first picture from my first roll of film through the XA2. The film used was Ilford XP2 Super.

2 Comments:

Blogger tedm said...

Warren, great XA2 review, and b&w photos of Vegas. The b&w photos are a refreshing way to view Vegas. very nice.

I've had an XA, but never the XA2. The XA was a little quirky for me, I had trouble focusing it wide open and close, and with the small rf patch. Also, the focus lever has a really fast throw. Can't beat the size though. I'm not sure, but I don't think the XA had manual, I think just AE where you had a lever for +1.5 ex comp, or you had to fiddle with the ASA dial.

The XA2 and others in the family with scale focusing might have been a good way to go with that line. I tried bidding a few times for the XA4 which has a really wide 28mm lens, but always got outbid. Apparently collectors like that one.

Thursday, December 14, 2006 at 8:10:00 AM PST  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Thanks Ted. You're right, the original XA did not have manual exposure capability, but it did have aperture priority AE. I changed the text accordingly.

--WT

Thursday, December 14, 2006 at 9:17:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment