Friday, July 07, 2006

June Slipped By, July is Upon Us

Hi Gang,

So much for July's project theme, there were not too many posts on that one. But we're already into the 2nd week of July, and this month's theme is "Decisive Moment". When I hear that phrase, I often think of Henri Cartier-Bresson. Following are a couple of quotes from HCB:

"To me, photography is the simultaneous recognition, in a fraction of a second, of the significance of an event as well as of a precise organization of forms that give that event its proper expression."

"Photography is not like painting, there is a creative fraction of a second when you are taking a picture. Your eye must see a composition or an expression that life itself offers you, and you must know with intuition when to click the camera. That is the moment the photographer is creative."

"Oop! The Moment! Once you miss it, it is gone forever."

-----------------------

We also need some more ideas for the next three months. Anyone?

Remember, when you are posting a picture that is for the monthly project, please preface the title with: "July Project --", followed by the actual title of the picture. This way, we can easily visually recognize from the title that the picture is for the monthly theme.

I recently tried Walgreen's online printing service. They offer free picture uploading to their website for printing to the local Walgreen's store. I did all my post-processing in Photoshop, then simply uploaded the pictures to the Walgreen's website under my personal account. In my case, I have the pictures printed at my neighborhood Walgreens where I can conveniently pick them up anytime. I just tried this, and I was very impressed by the speed (1 hour), and quality of the prints. I did this with my Fototime.com account, but when I use Fototime, I had to pay shipping, and I had to wait a few days or more for printing and shipping. Walgreen's prices are very competitive, .19 for 4x6 and 3.99 for 8x10.

Happy Shooting!

--Warren

0 Comments:

Post a Comment