Thursday, July 06, 2006

San Diego Zoo

Last weekend we visited the San Diego Zoo. Just before we left for San Diego, I had purchased my Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 from craigslist. I am so glad I did because I think it made a huge difference in how my pictures came out. Previously when visiting the SF Zoo, I could get shots of animals but they would be so far away. With the long zoom and fast lens, I was able to get some nice pictures.


One of the major attractions at the San Diego Zoo is their panda exhibit. There is a line to get in and then the staff tries to rush you through once you get in. In that short period of time, you just have to get as many pictures as you can. In the 5 minutes or so we were in there, I took over 40 pictures. Here are a couple.
















This tiger was hiding in some trees further up the hill behind him. I took some horrible pictures at first then he finally came down to the edge of the rock and I was able to catch this one.




I just loved the look of this bird with its bright colors. With the dull background it reminds me of Eric's shot a while ago with the colored flowers and b&w background.




The last time I went to the SD Zoo was almost 20 years ago. At that time, the koala exhibit was the big draw. It was a very warm day in San Diego so the koalas were just sleeping.





At the SF Zoo, the elephants were moved elsewhere after a couple of them died. People said there was not enough room for them to roam around. So we had our chance to see elephants again in San Diego. Check out that texture.




I took a lot of pictures at the zoo. Here are a couple of my daughter's favorite (at this time) animals.










If you're still with me, thanks for reading through my long posts. I hope it makes up for the my lack of activity previous to this. I'm just excited to have some pictures that are worthwhile to share with the group. With a 3-year old, most of my pictures are of kids' birthday parties and other things that would bore you guys. Let me know if you want to see more pix from our trips, I have plenty more.

3 Comments:

Blogger Warren T. said...

Yes! Keep the pictures coming.

All I can say for these is, WOW! That 80-200mm Nikkor is eye-popping sharp. Details in the images are FANTASTIC!

I like the panda shots and the elephant shot the most.

--Warren

Friday, July 7, 2006 at 2:49:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Dolph Brust said...

Benson,

Great clarity! How did you hold the camerma still with the zoom lens? Did you use a tri or monopod?

Dolph

Saturday, July 8, 2006 at 2:28:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Benson said...

Thanks Warren and Dolph. All pix were handheld and taken at ISO 200. I used aperture priority f/2.8 and with the bright southern Cal. sun in San Diego, the shutter speeds were rather fast except for the tiger which was 1/100 and one of the panda shots at 1/200. The 80-200mm Nikon is very well balanced with my D70 so it was pretty easy to hold it steady. I just LOVE that lens.

Saturday, July 8, 2006 at 2:05:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment