Thursday, February 17, 2005


Snowy Riverbank, Merced River, Yosemite National Park, Feb. 2004, Nikon F4, Ilford XP2 Posted by Hello

The sensation of being there is very hard to describe. The words: ephemeral, fragile, and fleeting, come to mind. It was late afternoon, and the sun was already beginning to disappear from the valley. The light was fading, but what light there was, was soft yet crisp. It was quiet and cold, and the only sensation of noise and motion came from the slow, gentle flow of the Merced River.

This is why we keep going back to Yosemite, especially in winter.

I've always wanted to make a picture like this one. Because it's black and white, I had to spend a lot of time experimenting with different settings in Photoshop (channel mixing, contrast, brightness, etc.) to make it look the way I wanted. But the process was fun, and I hope you like the result.

I'm on the fence about C-41 (color process) black & white film. Have any of you tried it yet? At first, I didn't care for it because I didn't like the way the film looked under high magnification. I thought it had ugly grain (actually no grain, just ugly). I'm encouraged by this picture, however. I think I'll try some more of this film before I make a final judgement. What has been your experience with it?

-- Warren

3 Comments:

Blogger Benson said...

I would have to say I'm surprised that there are no additonal comments on this shot. I really like this one. I like the Ansel Adams-esque nature of the shot and the detail of the mountain in the background. The contrast of the snow and the trees and rock structure works well also. Great shot!

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 at 12:31:00 PM PST  
Blogger SteveR said...

Yes, I agree with Benson, and I would have to use just about the same words - Adams-esque, etc.

Wonderful.

Tuesday, February 22, 2005 at 7:40:00 PM PST  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Thanks guys. It really means a lot to me when I get feedback (any kind, good or bad, it doesn't matter). I personally think that this is one of the best B&W pictures that I've ever made, and it's nice to know that someone else likes it too :)

Whenever things get rolling on FPCF, I get all pumped up and then I post too many pictures to FPCF. Maybe I should stop and let you guys post for a while.

-- Warren

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 at 11:42:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment