Wednesday, February 09, 2005


Umbrella Display at Publix, Atlanta Posted by Hello
Canon DR, 18-55mm zoom
1/30 @ f/7.1 ISO 400

NOT red, for a change!

Stopped at a Publix supermarket last Saturday morning to buy some yogurt and fruit for breakfast. I did a double-take on the way out just as I passed by this display and went out the door. I ran back around to the entrance and made my way back to this display, right by the exit, and snapped this one photo. I was immediately busted by two manager-type Publix employees and told that it was not allowed to take photos in the store. I played dumb and apologized, but kept the image ;-)

Slight cropping and contrast improvement, otherwise, this is pretty much how I saw it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Warren T. said...

Very Cute! Here are inanimate objects that look alive. Nice grab.

A similar thing happened to me last weekend. Gail wanted to show me a store downtown that had a very interesting desing. It's actually a classically designed former bank that was converted to an Armani store. There is a restaurant in the middle of the floor and the merchandise is located around the perimeter. I was shooting my Nikon F3HP w/Tri-x that day, and it would have been interesting to shoot some of the architectural details in there. I didn't even have a chance to bring my camera to my eye when an employee of the store walked over and told us that photography is not permitted in the store. I said, "Okay, no problem, I was just admiring the building's details, why can't I take pictures?" She answered, "Store Policy".

I later saw that she was taking pictures of the display arrangements as we left the store.

If they locate themselves in a historically significant building, maybe they should be more accomodating.

-- Warren

Thursday, February 10, 2005 at 7:40:00 AM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very whimsical, this one made me smile. I like that the background ones are slightly out of focus, making the foreground group "pop."

Friday, February 11, 2005 at 6:18:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment