Sunday, January 16, 2005


Tulip Field in Butchart Gardens, Victoria, Canada -- Konica Hexar w/35mm f2.0, Fuji Sensia slide film Posted by Hello

Notes: This was taken in the mid-90's. I thought the Konica Hexar was the answer for my desire for an affordable camera that had the handling qualities of a Leica M. The Konica was the identical size and shape of a classic early Leica M series rangefinder. It had an absolutely superb 35mm f2.0 . The lens was critically sharp, had good color rendition, and excellent bokeh. The Hexar featured such innovations as built-in winder, auto exposure, and autofocus. The original version also featured an ultra-quiet mode that really worked. This could have been the perfect street camera. The problem that caused me to eventually sell the camera was the Hexar's poor AF performance. It did not have a manual focusing aid, so to focus the camera, you have to rely solely on it's AF sensor, and it was too inaccurate for my standards.

I took the camera as my only camera on a short trip to Canada. Butchart Gardens was in full springtime bloom and tulips were everywhere. I noticed the color transition and shape of this particular patch and decided to try for a field shot with a different look.

--Warren

2 Comments:

Blogger SteveR said...

The flowers and the color are really beautiful, but the thing that really attracts me to this photo is the gentle "S"-curve made by the tulips on the green background. If the "S"-curve had been all one color, that would have been great, but as a bonus, the color changes further up the curve.

Monday, January 31, 2005 at 4:35:00 AM PST  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Thanks Steve, I didn't mention the S-curve because I was hoping someone would notice it and say something about it :).

Monday, January 31, 2005 at 8:08:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment