Sunday, December 05, 2004


Waikaloa Sunset, Big Island, Hawaii Nov 2004 Posted by Hello

Notes: Nikon D100/AF-Nikon 24-120 zoom at 70 mm

I returned to this same location a year later. This time, my goal was to create passion - make you feel that you are there. I selected a location closer to the beach, waiting for people to come out for the sunset. With the shorter lens, I found this couple at the ideal location, and zoomed to frame the palm trees and the changing sky colors. Underexposing allowed me to silhouette the palms and people, and not let the sun blow out. I photographed 27 shots in about 2 minutes, picking this as the best composition. However, another shot had the subjects in a better position, with the head tilts just right to increase the romantic aspect of the image. But the composition on that one, along with the sun exposure and position, was not quite what I wanted. Maybe next time I'll get both together!

Dennis

1 Comments:

Blogger Warren T. said...

I like this shot more than the previous shot. I think you succeeded in making me feel like I'm right there, much more so than the other shot. The vertical format, I think, added to that feeling for me, and the ultimately, the people in the shot put it over the top. Personally, I think this shot works just as well even without a head tilt. This REALLY brings me back to that beach, because when I was there, I was ALONE! I was there on business, and we decided that Gail should stay home. When I was on that beach watching a sunset that was exactly like this one, I was so moved that I had to call Gail on my cell phone from that very spot at that moment, and I told her what a mistake it was for her not to join me on the trip. Thanks for rekindling the memories. --Warren

Sunday, December 5, 2004 at 9:26:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment