Saturday, December 04, 2004


Waikaloa Sunset, Big Island, Hawaii Nov 2003 Posted by Hello

Notes: D100 w/AF-Nikon 180/2.8

I had been to this location in 1994, and have seen variations of this shot in many travel magazines. My goal was to create a sunset photo that could make the viewer feel the warm gentle breezes at the beach. With the 180 on the digital Nikon, the "effective" angle was similar to a 270mm using 35mm film. I picked a location well back of the beach to allow the palm trees and sunset to both be in focus with the long lens. Setting up my tripod, I took one photo for exposure, then adjusted to underexpose, which would saturate the sky colors and throw the palms into a silhouette. This also gives me a better chance of NOT blowing out the sun.
As I was still shooting in daylight/dusk, I could not see and study the LCD screen well. So I bracketed exposure just to be sure. Back in the hotel room, I evaluated and felt I got the shot I was looking for.

Dennis

1 Comments:

Blogger Warren T. said...

This a gorgeous sunset shot! It takes me back to the day that I was on the beach watching the same colors during sunset. I also like the detail such as the individual palm leaves against the orange sky. The sun position is nicely balanced with the sky and trees. The one thing that would set this picture apart from a common sunset would be another point of interest other than tree silhouettes, and you took care of that in the next shot that you posted. Thanks for posting! --Warren

Sunday, December 5, 2004 at 9:18:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment