Wednesday, December 20, 2006

On This Night, Let Us Light...

Glass Dreydles"...six little Hanukkah candles."

That's from a song that Jewish kids sing in Nursery School to learn about Hanukkah. And tonight, we will light six candles for the sixth day of this eight-day holiday.

Today's photo of glass dreydles was part of a self-assignment to make photographs for Hanukkah three years ago.

I'd never seen little glass dreydles like these before that time. They were at the annual Hanukkah Bazaar run by our Synagogue's Sisterhood. I asked the "sisters" afterwards if I could borrow their stock for some photos.

The don't spin worth a darn, but they sure are nice to look at.

The Hanukkah dreydle has on its four sides the Hebrew letters, Nun, Gimmel, Hey, and Shin. This stands for the sentence, Nes gadol hayah sham, which means "A great miracle happened there."

The "there" means Israel, or more specifically, the Second Temple in Jerusalem. And the miracle refers to the miracle of the little jar of oil, which should have only been enough for one day but lasted for eight.

And that's why we celebrate Hanukkah 2,171 years after the event it commemorates. The miracle of the oil is why we light candles for eight nights, and, by the way, why we eat oil-fried foods on Hanukkah.

Ashenazim, Jews whose more recent ancestors lived in Northern and Eastern Europe, eat potato latkes, or pancakes. Sephardim, Jews whose families lived in places like Iberia, North Africa, Italy, or Turkey, eat sufganiot, which are donuts.

Wherever you live and wherever you are from, Hanukkah, the Festival of Light, is a time of miracles - may you each be granted a miracle of your own!

6 Comments:

Blogger Benson said...

I will break my silence with this photo. Sorry guys I have been very, very busy lately.

I really like the colors and lighting of the dreydles. It is a soft light, appears to be either ambient light or off-camera flash. Very crisp and vibrant. I would imagine these may break if you play with them too much. Thanks for sharing.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 at 12:07:00 PM PST  
Blogger Warren T. said...

That's very interesting information, Steve. Thanks for telling us about Hanukkah traditions and history.

I like the rich colors in your picture, very nice!

--Warren

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 at 1:29:00 PM PST  
Blogger SteveR said...

Thanks, Benson & Warren!

Benson - I looked at my notes on this one (I'm usually not that organized ;-) and I see that I placed the dreydles on some dark velvet and used a desk lamp for lighting.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 at 1:35:00 PM PST  
Blogger Eric said...

Steve, I really like the colors in the photo. I like the history, too. That answers a question I asked my co-worker today.

Happy Hanukah (from one Jue to another)!

Eric

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 at 4:16:00 PM PST  
Blogger tedm said...

very nice photo Steve. Our son brought a plastic one home last week after learning about Hannukah from a classmate's presentation, and has been playing with it like a top, so it's interesting to see some really nice ones and read about the history of them. He also got to taste some yummy Hannukah sweets. Happy Hannukah to you and your family!

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 at 11:13:00 PM PST  
Blogger SteveR said...

Hey Eric,

I didn't realize you were Jue-ish! :-) :-)

Thank you all for your Hanukkah wishes (by the way, us Jews can't figure out quite how to spell it in English-you'll see it different ways)

I took a photo today to post as my Christmas wish for all of you - I hope it looks reasonable (you know, sometimes what looks good on the little LCD screen doesn't actually turn out so good). Hope to post it later today.

Best regards,
SteveR

Thursday, December 21, 2006 at 6:44:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment