Friday, March 24, 2006

Better B&W From Digital

Loeb Boathouse - Central Park, NYCHere's a view of the Loeb Boathouse in New York's Central Park. I took this one last month when Ben & I spent the day in NYC. Taken with my Digital Rebel and it's "kit" lens - 18-55mm zoom.

The original was color, but I thought it would look better as a B&W image. Tonight, I tried a technique from Scott Kelby's book "The Photoshop Elements 4 Book for Digital Photographers" that seems to produce a significantly better B&W image than just removing the color from the image. I wrote up the instructions in a post on my blog tonight at http://therosenblog.blogspot.com/2006/03/better-bw-from-digital.html Give it a try if you have Photoshop Elements (I know it will work with Version 2 and 3, at least.) It should also work with "regular" Photoshop, but Scott says that Channel Mixer (not included in Elements) is the normal way to go there.

Hope you find it useful.

Regards,
SteveR

3 Comments:

Blogger Warren T. said...

Hi Steve, this is very useful information. I have a couple of Scott Kelby books too. Great stuff. For the last few years, i've already been using the Photoshop channel mixer technique for converting color to B&W. I'm not sure if anyone else on the forum uses Elements. Maybe they will de-lurk and speak up.

Oh, btw, nice shot! Have I seen it before? It looks familiar.

--Warren

Friday, March 24, 2006 at 11:39:00 PM PST  
Blogger SteveR said...

Thanks, Warren - you are right, by the way - I did post this photo (cheap-and-dirty grayscale version) in mid-February with the story of the Road Trip Ben & I took to Drexel & NYC.

-- SteveR

Saturday, March 25, 2006 at 8:20:00 AM PST  
Blogger Warren T. said...

It would have been a good shot for our January Reflections Project. :)

--WT

Saturday, March 25, 2006 at 8:27:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment