Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Homeless Clothing

While Genie and I were in Palo Alto last weekend, I came upon an old jacket on a bench out in the street. I had the distinct impression that a homeless person left it here. It appeared pretty old, dirty and used. I wanted to be sure to get a picture of this because Palo Alto is such an affluent community. To see homelessness and remnants of homeless in such a place, to see any of this anywhere, is very disconcerting. It says something about the places in which we live.

3 Comments:

Blogger Warren T. said...

Hi Eric,

Nice B&W shot with good tonal range.

One could make a case for shooting this in color, the better to show the age and dirt on the old jacket. In B&W, all that stuff gets reduced to shades of gray so it's not as apparent. :)

So your challenge in B&W was to convey that homeless message with only the composition and other elements of the picture (other than color).

Maybe positioning the jacket more towards the left side of the image and showing more of the empty bench... (just thinking aloud).

--WT

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 at 11:24:00 PM PST  
Blogger Eric said...

Thx for the input. I didn't think about how color would show the age and dirt. I agree that the pic would've been better had it been on the left side of the image. I thought about that after I posted it.

As for positioning the jacket, dude, I didn't want to touch it. Maybe I should've asked Genie to position it. Yeah, good idea. I'll tell her you suggested that.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 at 8:01:00 AM PST  
Blogger Warren T. said...

i didn't mean for you to physically move the jacket :).

I meant positioning it within your image composition by framing it differently, or alternatively, choosing a different camera position.

I wouldn't touch that jacket either.

--WT

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 at 8:25:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment