Thursday, March 23, 2006

Recent Additions to my RF Collection

You folks who are digital-only are missing out on a lot of cheap, fun, film cameras.

The first one is my 4th FSU (Former Soviet Union) camera. The make/model is Fed 3B. I bought this from a seller on Ebay who I used before. He has a good reputation, and he does CLA's and checks out the equipment before selling. Of the 4 FSU cameras that I now own, this one, with its Industar-61 52mm f2.8 lens, is in the best condition. Some FSU camera fans dubbed this the "Flattop" because it was the first Fed to depart from the traditional Leica Barnack style of rangefinder housing. It was also the first to feature a wind lever instead of a knob. And, it has the full range of shutter speeds from 1 sec. to 1/500. The I-61 50mm lens is considered the best FSU 50mm in terms of sharpness and contrast, and I'm eager to put it and the camera through its paces. I got this one for $48 (!!!) shipped from the Ukraine. It's an unbeatable bargain for a full featured, interchangeable lens (in Leica screw mount), 35mm rangefinder camera. The Fed 3 was a very successful and popular model of the 60-s to the 70-s. Fed produced over 2 million of them (cameras for the people!), so they are plentiful and cheap today.



The 2nd camera is a 70's vintage Canon/Canonet GIII QL17. Yes folks, this is my very first Canon (gasp, choke). Well, I've been casually looking for one of these for a very long time, ever since I first read about its many virtues. I was cruising the Rangefinder forum site one day, and I happened to spot a recently placed ad for this camera for only $50 + $10 shipping. Again, this is a very good price for a CLA'd and properly working GIII QL17 in excellent condition, and it was from a fellow RFF member. On RFF, you have to be quick on the trigger to be able to snag a bargain. I made the decision within minutes of the ad being placed, otherwise someone else would have snapped it up immediately. Cameras in similar condition routinely sell for $65 to as high as $125 or more on Ebay.

The GIII QL17 (lousy name, isn't it) was Canon's last and greatest iteration of a full featured 35mm, fixed lens, leaf shutter, rangefinder camera. It had a very long run, so good used examples can still be found, though prices are slowly rising as more RF enthusiasts are beginning to collect it. Some of the features that I like about it are:

- Fast, sharp, fixed lens with an interesting focal length (40mm f1.7)
- Quick film loading (the QL17 part). This was a very innovative feature for its day
- Large and bright viewfinder
- Shutter priority auto exposure. I would have preferred aperture priority, but I can live with it.
- Fully manual operation that does not require a battery.
- Very quiet operation. It uses a leaf shutter, which is much quieter than focal plane shutters.

I shot a test roll (XP2 Super) through the camera on our overnight trip to Carmel last weekend. I'll post some pictures if they turn out okay.



If you're interested in reading more about these cameras, there is plenty of information on them available on the web. Just do a search on "Fed 3B" or "GIII QL17"

--Warren

5 Comments:

Blogger SteveR said...

Ah, the sight of that beautiful FED-3 has me singing...

So-YUZ nay-ru-SHI-mi res-POOB-lik svo-BOHD-nik.....

("Everlasting Union of free republics...", the beginning line of the Soviet Hymn - remember the scene in Hunt for Red October when the crew belted it out? -- the words now have a joke-like character, don't they? :-)

My first Soviet camera was a flattop FED-3, and to quote myself from http://geocities.com/fzorkis/stoisha1.html "...The rangefinder housing extended completely across the entire body, a simple and elegant design reminiscent of the Leica M3. And while nobody who has picked up an M3 will mistake the proletarian gear-gnashing of the FED 3 for the velvety feel of the Leica, this Soviet model is a very good shooter and capable of soldiering on for years..." You will really enjoy your new FED-3, Comrade Warren!

The Canonet you got is a great bargain for what you paid for it - good work!! This model is, in my opinion, the pinnacle of compact rangefinder design of the late 60's and early 70's. You should get the performance of a Leica CL at 1/10th the price.

I can't wait to see your photos from either of these gems, Warren.

You've inspired me, also -- even a die-hard born-again-digital guy like me should take a few exposures with film once a year or so - I'm long, long overdue.

I have a beautiful 1964 Kiev 4a that has sat on the shelf too long - I will shoot a roll with it next month (or maybe I should wait until May Day ;-)

Also, we have a very nice Chinese rangefinder, a Phenix 205-A that I should give a try.

I'll try to do it right and shoot slow or medium-speed slide film to get the most out of these Glorious Commie lenses.

BTW, who did you buy the FED-3 from?

-- SteveR

Thursday, March 23, 2006 at 9:30:00 AM PST  
Blogger SteveR said...

I forgot this - you may already have seen it but just in case... a great article on the Canonet by Steven Gandy at http://cameraquest.com/canql17.htm

Thursday, March 23, 2006 at 9:32:00 AM PST  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Dear Comrade Stoisha,

I will endeavor to live up to the great tradition of photography for the masses that you introduced to the free world. I studied your site carefully when I first began to educate myself on these glorious cameras.

Sincerely,

Comrade Warren

p.s. The seller who I like on Ebay is "cupog". And yes, Stephen Gandy's Cameraquest.com site is a great source of info.

Thursday, March 23, 2006 at 9:55:00 AM PST  
Blogger SteveR said...

"cupog" has a great reputation and really unusual, beautiful stuff, doesn't he? I have spent hours in the past browsing his listings. Three years ago, I bought nearly mint and perfectly-operating black Zenit TTL SLR with a sharp f/2 50mm lens from him- it was $24 plus $14 shipping - a very decent camera for $38!

I keep lusting after one of the late-model Czech Flexaret TLRs that he sometimes lists. I wonder if I can adapt a digital back to one of those ;-)

-- SteveR

Thursday, March 23, 2006 at 10:53:00 AM PST  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Cupog has very interesting stuff for sale. I was just looking in his Ebay store this morning and I noticed a Yashica Lynx 5000e selling for about the right price (around $50). I already have a 5000e, and in fact, I need to rotate it out of the camera cabinet for some exercise soon. My Lynx 5000e needs a foam replacement, I think, but other than that, it's in excellent condition, and those old Yashica RF cameras had REALLY nice lenses.

--WT

Thursday, March 23, 2006 at 12:57:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment