Thursday, March 23, 2006

Bridgewalker

Spa Creek Bridgewalker - Original Image
Spa Creek Bridgewalker - Edited Version

I took about a half-hour in the morning last weekend to walk around the Spa Creek Drawbridge in Annapolis. I was under the bridge on the Eastport end when I looked up and noticed the possibilities of getting a solitary figure crossing over.

This one has a lot of the elements that I often (maybe subconsiously) look for - strong diagonal, simple shapes, repeating pattern, "a little bit of something in a lot of nothing" (i.e., the lone walker.)

... and what do you know - I posted this one on Usefilm.com Tuesday, and today it showed up with a Donor Image of the Day "award." Not exactly the Pulitzer Prize, but I nice ego-stroke nevertheless ;-)

Another Usefilm member, Hugo de Wolf of the Netherlands, took the time to make an extensive comment with some suggestions - most notably that it would be nice to get the lamp out of the photo. So I did some editing in Photoshop Elements and produced the second photo - which I think is cleaner and "better" overall - of course, it's all subjective.

-- SteveR

3 Comments:

Blogger Warren T. said...

Steve, congratulations on the DOD Award! That's great!

Yes, it's all subjective. The lamp in the original picture doesn't bother me at all, though when you see the pictures side by side, I would have to agree that the second picture does look "cleaner".

--Warren

Thursday, March 23, 2006 at 9:44:00 PM PST  
Blogger Eric said...

Congrats on the award, Steve. I, like you, like simple shapes and patterns, too. Nice photos.

Ej

Friday, March 24, 2006 at 7:52:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Congratulatons, Steve. They sure picked the right photo to award. I tend to go for the second photo too. PAT

Sunday, March 26, 2006 at 5:47:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment