Thursday, January 26, 2006

Jan. 26 Forum Update

Obligatory Picture Post:



Nikon D100,
Father & Child on Playing in Surf,
Sharp Park Beach, Pacifica, CA

Hi Gang,

I decided that rather than send an email via the Google Group, then copying the members who are not subscribed to the goup, why don't I just write my message right on the forum itself. Doh! Why didn't I think of this before? This will make our forum "feel" more like a real forum.

And I want to remind you, that this is an open forum, and that you should feel free to say what's on your mind here, like I'm doing right now. Just log onto Blogger.com and create a new post onto FPCF. You can write your own articles about photography, just for fun, or maybe because you've been thinking about it for a while, and wish to express your thoughts in words. Or maybe you're working on something, and would like some input from the rest of us.

There is no obligation to comment on every picture or article, but if you specifically want comments or opinions, you may want to mention that in your post so that we all know to respond. Just kick back, and enjoy looking at the pictures, and reading the messages.

I'm very happy that a few of us are getting into the spirit of the monthly projects. I personally found it very interesting and a bit of a challenge to go out shooting with the monthly project in the back of my mind. Sometimes, the shots are simply not there even if you're looking very hard for something relevant. And other times, it just comes easily. In any case, it adds another dimension to our enjoyment, I think.

So, what's it going to be for February? Shall we come up with something even more challenging than our Jan. project?

Jan. is not over yet, there is stil time to post Jan. project pictures. I know that Pat has been working on some, but I also know that he is very busy with his new job.


--Warren

4 Comments:

Blogger Warren T. said...

Hi,

A couple of other things I forgot to mention. It would be great if all of you check in once in a while so that we know that you're still alive. It only takes a few minutes. If you're not interested in participating any more, please let me know so that I can update the forum accordingly.

While our contributing membership is limited, feel free to tell your friends about us and/or include our forum in your email signatures (if you feel like it).

Thanks!

--Warren

Thursday, January 26, 2006 at 11:41:00 AM PST  
Blogger SteveR said...

Warren,

I waited on purpose to comment on this photo because I think it is so good, and I wanted to really think about why.

I put a sheet of paper over my monitor and traced the main lines of the photo to get down to its basic elements - and found it to be very elegant. My scanner isn't hooked up right now, so rather than show you my hand sketch, I took your photo and ran it throough the "Trace Contour" filter in Photoshop - it didn't include a few of the secondary lines, but it did a pretty good job - you can see it at

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1269/358/1600/Warren_SharpParkBeach.jpg

(I created a draft post on my own blog in order to save the filtered version on the web)

Anyway, you can easily see the beautiful sweep of the "S"-curve that runs through your photo and unifies it. The father and child make a nice little group shape that's placed very well along the curve - actually, "held in place" in the upper part of the "S" - very cool!

Secondarily to the "S"-curve, there are several parallel diagonals - the edge of the dry sand in the lower right foreground, the surf, and the line of the retreating (or advancing) water at upper right

All in all, very non-static, simple and beautiful

-- SteveR

Friday, January 27, 2006 at 6:12:00 PM PST  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Wow Steve, thanks for the kind words, and your marvelous, detailed analysis. I'm still a Photoshop ignoramus, I did not know about the "Trace Contour" filter until now. It really helped to distill the image into its basic elements.

This was another one of those "instinctive" shots like I talked about before. The wave action and pattern was what originally caught my eye. I'm glad that I was able to capture it, and that you noticed it.

I only took this one frame of the scene because there was only one chance to time it just right where all the elements were in the right place. There were a lot of things in motion including the foreground "s" wave, the father and child moving independently, the wet sand, and the background waves.

--Warren

Friday, January 27, 2006 at 10:22:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is quite a graphically beautiful and matching/balanced picture. It was amazingly composed as such that the top triangular bright patch of incoming surf kind of matching the same smaller triangular dark patch of sand on the bottom right. The two "s" marks,one made by the larger stretch of momentarily dried sand and the other light traces of S curves are facinating. Last but not least is the matching "life" elements contributed by the action of the father and son against that of the surf. Nice shot!
PAT
p.s.yes,it was new job plus finding and moving to a new office.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 at 7:19:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment