Sunday, January 22, 2006

Jan Project - Truxton Park Walkway

Now this is one I took yesterday that I liked when I took it and also back home. Wouldn't you know, though, my Art Critic son didn't think much of it.

So once again, I open it up for debate.

Both photos taken yesterday as part of my ongoing trial of my new Canon A620. So far, after over 300 exposures, I like the new little camera a lot.

This is one shot where the tilty-flexi LCD viewfinder comes in handy - I had the camera well over my head to get a more downward perspective on the walkway and frame it the way I wanted - but I could see the scene just fine by flipping the LCD screen out and tilting it downward a bit.

I also shot some "stock" Annapolis photos on the same moring outing yesterday, and printed two of them at 12-1/2" x 17", and they look great... even to My Son the Art Critic!

3 Comments:

Blogger martin said...

I would agree with your son on this one. It has an unusual perspective which probably why it appeals to you. What bothers me are the things that are cropped out of the edges of the frame.

Seems that you like the A620 more than the Canon Digital Rebel. I might get one of the newer Canons as I'm hesitant about the small viewfinder of the digital SLRs.

Sunday, January 22, 2006 at 2:04:00 PM PST  
Blogger SteveR said...

Hi Martin - thanks for your comments - I was trying to emphasize the reflections of the trees and kept only a little of the reeds as a border - but maybe it's too jarring to have cropped out the edges so much.

As for the A620 - I do like it a lot, but I'll be going back to the Digital Rebel for "planned" photography - that is, when I know that I want to take photographs. I got the A620 so that I'd always have a camera with me. The reason I've been using it so much is that I wanted to really see what it was capable of. But I love wide angle and long tele too much to abandon the DSLR. I've been very happy with the Digital Rebel in the more than 2 years since I bought it. For what I do, the only thing I would like to have different on it is that it takes about 2.5 sec to turn on and 2.5 sec to "wake up" after it goes to sleep. The Digital Rebel XT fixes that and then some. But it doesn't bother me enough that I would go and spend the money on a Digital Rebel XT or a Canon 20D at this point.

Best regards,
SteveR

Sunday, January 22, 2006 at 6:14:00 PM PST  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Hi Steve,

For me, the dominant feature of this picture is the big bright reflection of the sky in the center. It dominated my attention such that I didn't really want to pay any attention to the reflections of the trees and reeds. The ripples in the water caused the tree reflections to be too blurry to be noticed, maybe.

--Warren

Sunday, January 22, 2006 at 9:25:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment