Friday, January 20, 2006

A Grateful Immigrant

I posted this on my own photo blog this morning, but I thought it would be appropriate to re-post it here...
Fifty-five years ago today, my family came to America, bringing me, just shy of my first birthday, with them.

I won't go through the story again, but if you like, you can see it here.

I just wanted to say that I am grateful to the United States of America and to its generous citizens for bringing us here.

I am grateful for the crew of the troopship that carried us here, the USNS General C. H. Muir, and I am grateful to the staff at Ellis Island in late January 1951, who housed and fed Mom and me (I caught measles on the boat and had to be quarantined for 10 days) and took care of my medical needs.

Greetings to all my brother and sister immigrants! We've adopted and have been adopted into a pretty amazing and wonderful family.

2 Comments:

Blogger Warren T. said...

Thanks for posting this on FPCF, Steve. I read your original story a year ago. It's a great story.

As you know, my own family came here in 1963, when I was 5 years old. It has been a long journey to get to 2006, and we also look back on all those years with amazement.

BTW, that's a nice picture. What was the flag painted on, the side of a building?

--Warren

Friday, January 20, 2006 at 7:41:00 AM PST  
Blogger SteveR said...

Thanks, Warren - I was speaking for myself, but I was thinking of you and so many immigrant friends as I was writing this one.

That flag is painted on a picket fence turned sideways! I first photographed it last year at a local antique store (see http://therosenblog.blogspot.com/2005/02/going-antiquing.html ) and I thought it had been sold long ago - turns out it had just been moved to the side of the store :-)

Friday, January 20, 2006 at 3:58:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment