Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Jan. Project -- Margueritaville

Margueritaville
Boat hull reflection plus a very small part of the actual boat (upper right) at City Dock, Annapolis, Maryland.

The rudder has an unusual, decorative design that protrudes above the waterline - that's what initially caught my eye and made me want to take the photo.

The name of the photo .... "Wastin' away again with my digicam?" -- nah, it's simply the name of the boat.

Another photo from my first couple of days trying out my new Canon A620 digicam. I tried a 13x19 print from this image, and it came out pretty good. If you look very closely at the print, you can see a bit of noise in the areas of even tone - primarily the triangular area at upper left (the reflection-less part of the water.) But the rest of the print is excellent, even with my nose right up to the paper. At normal viewing distance for this size print, even the "noisy" area looks fine.

4 Comments:

Blogger Warren T. said...

Steve, I saw this picture on your usefilm.com portfolio, and I really liked it. I was hoping that you would choose to post it here too :). I especially like the contrast between the muted color of the hull vs. the exposed rudder, and I like the jagged, delicately feathered edges of the reflected boat hull, and the composition as a whole. Marvelous!

--Warren

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 at 11:20:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very interesting piece of work indeed. In the absence of the narrative, it tends to oblige the viewers to ponder left,right and centre in trying to figure out the message from the creator. Unfortunately, the name doesn't help much but this makes it even more intriguing. I've looked very hard but still could not quite get or hear the "noice". Nonetheless, I find the 'peaceful' triangular area in good contrast with the 'lively' water-reflection.Good
work!
PAT

Friday, January 13, 2006 at 7:02:00 AM PST  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Steve,

A quick question about your print format. I'm kind of behind the times when it comes to printing big prints. My home printer is an old Epson 870 photo inkjet. It only prints up to 8x10. You often mention printing 13x19. Is this a new format of some sort? Just wondering... I know you have a nice Canon printer that you've been using for your print sales.

I'm used to prints sizes such as: 11x14, 16x20, or 20x30, but never heard of 13x19.

thanks,

Warren

Monday, January 23, 2006 at 3:39:00 PM PST  
Blogger SteveR said...

Hi Warren,

I don't blame you for the confusion on print sizes. As an old 3-M (Metal, Mechanical, Manual) camera-and-film user, I had only heard of the paper sizes you mentioned.

Seems as if there are several photo-quality inkjet printers that now do up to 13x19 (or 13" wide by whatever if they accept roll feed). And 13x19 is now an "standard" available paper size from Canon, Epson, Ilford,etc.

I use 13x19 Ilford Galerie - so far I've used both Galerie Classic Pearl and Classic Gloss - both very fine papers.

My Canon i9900 prints up to 13x19. Some of the HP's (and maybe Epsons) print from rolls, but not the i9900. On the other hand, those other printers are more expensive - you can get an i9900 now for under $400 - and it has excellent print quality and is very fast.

-- SteveR

Monday, January 23, 2006 at 6:28:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment