Sunday, January 29, 2006

By Eric: "The Haunted Barracks"

I was walking around the part of Crissy Field where the army barracks are located and I caught this barracks at an odd angle. The shadows are created by all of the supports under Doyle Drive. I was looking at this building and it was very interesting, but I didn't want to take the photo straight on. So, I took it at a rather odd angle. I took it w/my trusty new Sony DSCH1, the ISO was set at 100, the F-stop was 6.3, and the shutter speed was set at 500. I took it on 1/15/06 and the time was approximatley 230 p.m. When I showed my wife, Genie, she thought it was kind of creepy and I tend to agree with her. I didn't intend for this effect, but it came out that way.

I find that this new camera is giving me a rather valuable education in photography -and I don't have to wait for results or struggle looking at contact sheets. I am getting to know over and underexposure better. However, I think that in order to really practice looking at an object and knowing instinctively on what the shutter speed and f-stop should be requires a lot of practice on film equipment. This is truly a trick. I've only been able to do it a few times in the past. Like Warren said, it is very liberating.

Steve, if you see this, you and Warren have convinced me to upgrade my laptop and load on some photo editing software. At this time, it seems I am going to go for a Toshiba and check out the photo editing software you mentioned in the past. Thx for the assistance on this because I am not up on the types of photo editing software out there.

Later folx.

Ej

6 Comments:

Blogger Warren T. said...

I agree, Eric, this is a very spooky picture. The ominous shadow in the lower right is especially creepy [shivers...].

This also has the look of a night shot even though you shot it in the afternoon.

--Warren

Monday, January 30, 2006 at 7:36:00 AM PST  
Blogger SteveR said...

Hi Eric,

I really like this photo - your Art School training is really coming through here! It's very dramatic

BTW, I just orederd Photoshop Elements OEM online for $55 - I found the outfit, TrustPrice, using PriceGrabber.com - they seemed to have very good customer feedback, but I'll wait til it actually arrives to pass judgement - should arrive late this week or early next week.

see the details at http://www.trustprice.com/as/product_details.cfm/ItemNo=AD%2DPSE

They also have Photoshop Elements OEM (meaning w/out box or printed manual - like I got it with my Canon Digital Rebel) - for 15.95!

http://www.trustprice.com/as/product_Details.cfm/Itemno=1109%2D692235

Monday, January 30, 2006 at 10:14:00 AM PST  
Blogger SteveR said...

"...They also have Photoshop Elements OEM (meaning w/out box or printed manual - like I got it with my Canon Digital Rebel) - for 15.95! ..."

Sorry - I meant Photoshop Elelments 2.0

-- SteveR

Monday, January 30, 2006 at 10:15:00 AM PST  
Blogger Eric said...

Thx for the info Steve & thx for the compliment. As for the schooling, it wasn't art school, but the College of Environmental Design at the University of Colorado at Boulder. Like I said, I left it when I knew I was licked. Some of those students belonged in art school.

Monday, January 30, 2006 at 2:07:00 PM PST  
Blogger martin said...

This is a very effective mood photo. Nice use of light, shadow and perspective. A bit abstract but it draws the viewer in. Good balance of positive and negative areas.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 at 9:36:00 AM PST  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Hi Folks,

If you have some free time, follow the URL below for an EXCELLENT article about exposure, and how to use your brain to figure exposure (vs. using a meter).

http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm

--WT

Tuesday, January 31, 2006 at 9:40:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment