Monday, February 21, 2005


Spring Blossoms in San Mateo, Nikon D100, 24mm f2.8 Posted by Hello

We've had rain for the last 10 days in the SF Bay Area, and yesterday was gloomy and rainy. But the rain broke briefly during the afternoon. Right after lunch with some friends (Jill was there), we decided to walk to the Japanese Garden which was just a block away from the restaurant. Do you guys remember what I mentioned in one of my recent emails? So has anyone tried to get a spring blossom picture? I always have it in the back of my mind.

This was a true grab shot. We were walking across the street heading for the Japanese Garden when I saw this public path in front of me. I noticed the tree in bloom, and I began to size this up for a photo opportunity. I didn't have time to think for very long because I spotted the man walking down the path, and my friends were about to enter the scene from the left. I only had a split second to bring my camera up to my eye and snap the shutter before this scene would change forever. This was one case when I had to trust my camera's AF and AE.

So what do you think? Did this work, or is it too "busy".

-- Warren

4 Comments:

Blogger Warren T. said...

I'm very interested in reading discussion about this. A friend answered offline that he thought the shot was good, but a little "busy". He offered that perhaps a closeup of the blooms would be better. I think that yes, a closeup of the blossoms would be a picture of some blossoms, but in my opinion, that's too common a shot.

That's why I brought up the subject of spring blossom shots recently. I find it challenging to make a "different" image. In this one, I felt that the gate in the foreground, and the man walking on the path, adds balance and context to the shot. In my previous cherry blossom pictures, I would shoot just the tree and the blossoms, but to me, that kind of shot doesn't hold enough interest.

Still curious as to what the group thinks.

--Warren

Thursday, March 3, 2005 at 6:18:00 PM PST  
Blogger martin said...

I gave this photo some thought and although the color is nice the picture does not hold up because of the black fence and the white column on the left. These elements detract from the color of the blossoms. I heard in a color class that significant areas of neutral colors such as black, white and gray basically lessens the effect of color in a photo. If you had more of the green grass and eliminated the fence and column the photo has a chance of working as green and magenta complement each other.

I have problems doing color myself as my training is in black and white. A lot of times when I look at a scene, I tend to look for the quality of light, form and composition rather than color. Maybe you are expecting too much, grab shots are hard to do and even more difficult in color.

Sunday, March 6, 2005 at 10:24:00 AM PST  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Martin, thanks for your very interesting comments about color harmony. It's very thought provoking.

It's interesting that you think the shot failed based on analysis of the color. This is a concept that I have not thought much about lately(but probably should).

As for grab shots, that's a genre of photography that I find fun and interesting. The challenge is to get the best composition given the circumstances and timing. I don't expect that all grab shots will work, but when they do, it's very satisfying.

Tuesday, March 8, 2005 at 10:37:00 AM PST  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Previously, I said, "This is a concept that I have not thought much about lately(but probably should)."

What I meant to say was that I didn't really look at this particular shot in that way. Gee, does that make sense?

I would love to hear from others about this.

--WT

Tuesday, March 8, 2005 at 11:01:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment