Monday, January 31, 2005


Toy Guitar - Canon Digital Rebel w/ Canon EF-S 18-55mm, 1/200 @ f/6.3 ISO 400 Posted by Hello

My wife says I'm a junkaholic, and this photo proves it!

This toy guitar was sitting with a pile of other cool stuff that someone in the neighborhood left to be picked up as garbage. I liked the color and the shape, so I ventured to take a few photos. The guitar was sitting on a small nightstand, and I just let most of it hang over the edge while outside the frame, I held the bottom part with one hand. The mottled background is just good old Anne Arundel County street paving.

- SteveR

2 Comments:

Blogger Warren T. said...

The first thing that came to my mind when I saw this picture before reading the notes was: Catalog Shot. It has great color and composition, and not being a musician, I would have believed it if you told me that it was a "real" instrument. I also first thought that you shot the guitar in front of some sort of studio background. Did you do any photoshop work on the background to blur it?

Thanks for posting!

-- Warren

Monday, January 31, 2005 at 7:42:00 AM PST  
Blogger SteveR said...

Hi Warren - thanks for your kind comments!

It was just dumb luck the background (old blacktop paving) came out the way it did. I just tried to make sure it was uncluttered when I shot it, but it wasn't until I brought the image up in Photoshop on my monitor that I realized how studio-background-like it came out to be. I credit it to the large aperture and having the zoom lens at it's full 55mm telephoto end. No photoshopping on the background at all.

For the photo as a whole, I just adjusted the levels and used very moderate sharpening with an Unsharp Mask.

-- SteveR

Monday, January 31, 2005 at 8:59:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment