Thursday, June 04, 2015

When the Search for Complexity is found in Simplicity - SLIP IN SLIDE

It takes a team
I don't want to grow up

Everyone is a pro

Covered in mud? Success


Nikon D810 - Nikkor 80-200mm -
Speed priority 1/1000 - ISO 320 - 200mm - F stop would jump between 4.5-7ish based on overcast. I think I had the exposure compensation to plus 1 

I recently shot an event that was both amazing to shoot and gave me a little deeper insight into my own progressive world of photography.

Having the personal opinion that I found my passion a little late in life and trying to catch up to the years of experience everyone around me seems to have. Has kept me pushing myself daily to improve all my skills.

But it also can be my achilles heel. Second guessing myself at every turn.

* I am an amazing photographer right?
* I can capture those moments that transcend the norm into a place of fantasy and excitement?
* Location, Location. Should I be traveling the globe climbing mountains & jumping out of helicopters to prove my worth?
* I need to make things more complex don't I!? Show the world the depth of my abilities?
* I need more equipment to produce better photographs? Do I need more equipment to produce better photos?
* Why am I second guessing myself?
* Do Annie Leibovitz, Chase Jarvis & Von Wong second guess everything they do?

Turns out the answers to all my questions are always yes and no.

Complexity is normally not better, location is important but has nothing to do with capturing amazing photos. Equipment is only helpful when used properly and turns out the less you use the less can go wrong. I have learned from all the people I have met in this journey & this has nothing to do with other photographers but anyone that feels they are not producing what they want always seem to have an excuse to back up their failures. I have also found embracing your failures is the key to success. When I dont fail at something I typically dont improve it as far as I would have if I completely messed up. Didn't get it right the first time. Do it again & again & again until that lightbulb goes on.

But wait a minute? Kids, a plastic piece of material and some water helped produce some of my favorite photos? All I had to do was lay on my stomach, get a little dirty, set my camera to speed priority mode and time my shots. I barely even touched the photos in post.

Too easy? or just right? Turns out just being willing to get as low as you need to for eye level shots is half the battle.

My mini post morphed into something else but hey what can you do. ??? Someone just said shorten it. =)

I hope everyone is well, I miss seeing everyones posts from your adventures.

Best wishes to you all!

~Carl~


Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Lena said...

Nice happy Summer scene, you capture great moment, really nice photos...:-)

Lena

Saturday, June 6, 2015 at 2:09:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Carl, thanks for posting here. It was a very interesting and entertaining read. I think these are great actions shots!

We recently visited three national parks (Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, and Glacier). I'll be posting some of the shots here.

Warren

Saturday, June 6, 2015 at 2:22:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Lea said...

This post is a great conversation starter. I was at a 3 hour figure drawing session yesterday and someone asked me how I was finding it, as it was my first time. I told them it was a challenge and I was finding it very difficult. Because usually I roam around outside for new imagery to sketch or photograph. i change location. But in this room, it was super challenging to draw new pictures for 3 hours of one person. I ended up with many images I found to be unique and would not have seen if I only stayed for an hour, or two hours. Over time, I think it is inevitable to see new things if we continue to try and make the effort. You must be on the brink of falling to run... or slip & sliding for that matter. I like the idea that time reveals. Keep following the dream, whatever it is, and let it evolve and change, and enjoy the endless search for voice and character, and if you don't make the end goal at least you will know you tried your very best. That's how I am treating it these days anyways.

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 at 6:31:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment