Sunday, January 18, 2015

Exactly Repeatable Images

I've been having thoughts recently. After reading books at that photo book sale I mentioned around New Years. One of them is called French Primitive Photography, and talks about the photographers from France ~1850-1865. It's an old Aperture publication.

The idea that keeps reiterating in my mind is that their naiveté was something special to photography at that time, as it was so new to people. There was not really a distinction between amateur and professional.

That there was no syntax for their communication through photographs. That these "primitive" photographs are exactly repeatable.

One reason it keeps repeating in my head, I think, is because reading about them I found myself identifying with some aspects of that incredibly closely. It was actually of comfort to read about them... Except, what does it mean that I am "primitive" in 2015!?


These photos were from tonight. I had a whim to try out low key images. My primitive brain said GO! DO IT! And so I listened.. It was fun. I'm happy with what I found.


6 Comments:

Blogger dan in marin said...

I like the 3rd one as the glow adds mystery to the shadows. My view of the primitive in your series

Dan

Sunday, January 18, 2015 at 10:45:00 PM PST  
Blogger Lea said...

Guessing you might have meant the 4th ? :)

Monday, January 19, 2015 at 11:03:00 PM PST  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Great, creative series, Lea! I like the abstract and surreal feeling of the first picture, and I like the low-key nature that's just a little different than usual.

--WT

Saturday, January 24, 2015 at 6:52:00 PM PST  
Blogger kash said...

Lea, I'm so glad you did this! These are really great. I think you should continue doing more of it and explore where you end up.

Sunday, January 25, 2015 at 1:02:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Lena said...

Nice shot, the first one really artistic, great composition of fifth pic. amazing capture !

Lena

Monday, January 26, 2015 at 9:39:00 PM PST  
Blogger Lea said...

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement Warren, Kash, and Lena!

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 4:18:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment