Thursday, March 20, 2014

Moody Pacifica Hills

Lumix LF1

New camera alert! I decided to go super light and compact for our next trip, so I bought a Lumix DMC-LF1. I took the camera out for some testing yesterday. I shot jpg because I'm thinking about shooting jpg on our trip in order to be able to shoot roughly three times the number of pictures per SD card.

At pixel peeping viewing levels, I did notice some annoying jpg compresson artifacts, even at the lowest ISO, but once the pictures were processed and resized in Lightroom, it was hardly noticeable.

This image started out as a dynamic B&W jpg from the camera, but I ended up choosing a Lightroom preset for the look that I wanted.

I chose the LF1 because it has a few key features that seemed useful:

- Built-in EVF, amazing for a pocket sized camera It's tiny, has a diopter adjustment, and very useful in some situations.
- large zoom range, 28-200mm in 35mm equiv. By comparison, my LX5's range is 24-90mm
- Image stabilization
- Full manual control
- Shoots RAW, I may still shoot 100% RAW with it eventually, if not immediately

--Warren

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Lena said...

Beautiful composition, nice B/W...:-)

Lena,

Thursday, March 20, 2014 at 1:33:00 PM PDT  
Blogger dan in marin said...

I agree, the compression artifacts are only noticeable at PP levels, and this should print up quite well. If you want send me a full sized jpg, and I will see what the Epson can do with the file. As far as the black bird goes, the bird looks a little soft. What was your point of focus, to me it seems the ice plant to the right is sharp. Is this a AF setting issue?

Regardless, nice new tool for your upcoming trip.

Why would you not shoot RAW, keeping extra SD cards shouldn't weigh you down too much, or perhaps just bring a portable drive and move the images as needed? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/828315-REG/Digital_Foci_P19_320_PST_251_Photo_Safe_II.html

Dan

Thursday, March 20, 2014 at 2:09:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Dan, the point of focus on the bird was its head, but I think it was in motion, so perhaps a small amount of motion blur happened.

I think I have enough spare SD cards to allow me to shoot 100% RAW. I am not planning to bring laptop with LR this time, so all image processing will have to wait until I come home. If I shoot jpg, I can easily do some minor editing and posting on the road.

--Warren

Thursday, March 20, 2014 at 6:56:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Lea said...

Trees and hills that are so pretty :)

Thursday, March 20, 2014 at 10:50:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Lea said...

Kind of looks like a pencil drawing.

Thursday, March 20, 2014 at 10:51:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment