Saturday, September 01, 2012

Nikkormat FT

Panasonic DMC-G1, Nikkor 50mm f1.4 AIS

Here is a picture of the Nikkormat that I mentioned in my previous post. I got the camera and lens via the local Freecycle network. The person offering the camera only said that the meter was inoperative. In reality, the camera has seen better days. The shutter is barely working, meter is broken, counter is broken, mirror foam is non-existent, corrosion is suspected because the DOF preview button is frozen. So, I'll probably not deal with the Nikkormat body for now (if ever). You never know how something from Freecyle will turn out. I have gotten some very nice, working cameras from there and I've also given away some nice things as well. My first serious camera was a Nikomat FTn, and I was hoping that this Nikkormat FT would be fully functional, but it wasn't meant to be.

 However, I've always wanted to try the Nikkor-H 50mm f2 lens because I read many rave reports about it. The only problem that I can see with the lens is the large dent in the filter ring at the 5 o'clock position (see photo). The glass is relatively clean, and focusing is a little stiff but smooth. The aperture blades still work fine, and are oil free. My first few shots with the lens on my G1 turned out very nice. I'll probably shoot some film through the lens on my F2s one of these days, just to see how it does with real film.

--Warren

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Steve Rosenbach said...

I've always wanted a Nikkormat, even back in the days when I had a Nikon F. And you're right, the Nikkor-H 50mm is a wonderful lens.

I have 3 Nikkormat FTN bodies, one ugly one which works great but is missing the viewfinder window, one of which is beautiful but only fires at one speed, and the third - I forget what's wrong with it. But one of these days, I hope to make them into one good FTN (they cost me $5 bucks for the 3.)

Sunday, September 9, 2012 at 6:34:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment