Tuesday, July 27, 2010

July Project - Abu the Flutemaker

Here's my new friend Abu, playing a saxophone-like contraption that he makes out of plastic pipe and fittings. Now here's what I find amazing - it sounds pretty good - at least when he plays it.

Abu is a street entertainer, licensed by the city of Baltimore. Besides his music, he has a bright and happy personality. While we were with him, he gave me and another admirer each a straw, then proceeded to teach us how to "play" it, including showing us several ways to get various sounds out of it.

Abu entertains at the nearby Medical Center Plaza each Tuesday; I'll try to catch him for some more photos in the coming weeks.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Warren T. said...

Nice shot, Steve. He looks like a DPW worker smoking a hookah :P.

--WT

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 at 8:22:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Dolph Brust said...

Dan,

I was thinking the same thing as Warren....government worker taking a break and getting high. Couldn't you see this in the Bay Area and the lights going off. ;)

**Dolph

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 at 6:38:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Steve Rosenbach said...

You guys are right! In fairness to Abu, I should take some more photos ;-) I sent him the 3 I took, and he was very happy with them and said I could take more any time.

It turns out he's famous in Baltimore - he makes instruments out of just about any discarded old thing. His biggest pleasure is speaking and demonstrating to school-age children to get them interested in music.

Here's a 12-year-old article I found about Abu - it's really heartwarming.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 at 11:24:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Lea said...

Very cool portrait! People are amazing! :)

Thursday, July 29, 2010 at 4:46:00 PM PDT  
Blogger dan in marin said...

Nice streetcape capture Steve. The tightness of the image really works

Dan

Friday, August 6, 2010 at 7:04:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment