Sunday, July 11, 2010

Me and My Koni

Actually, I'm just posing with a Koni-Omega Rapid M camera that we had on the shelf at Stansbury Photo. I'd say this is in 1970.

I don't remember ever using the Koni, but it was a favorite of wedding and event photographers in the 60's and early 70's. It used 120 or 220 roll film, for 10 or 20 2-1/4" x 2-3/4" negatives per roll. It was very robust, built like a tank, and in a pinch, you could swing it to use as a formidable weapon. Besides all that, it had excellent, interchangeable lenses available. To top it off, each lens has its own leaf shutter, like the Hasselblad 500, which means flash synch up to 1/500 sec. For event photography, it was much cheaper than the Hasselblad and far easier to use.

I was going through hundreds of old photos today and found this one. Warren's recent acquisition of a slightly newer model Koni prompted me to post it on FPCF.

5 Comments:

Blogger Warren T. said...

I like the James Bond look :).

--WT

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 at 9:15:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Steve Rosenbach said...

JB: Do you expect me to talk?

GF: No, Mr. Bond!... I expect you to shoot with that Koni!

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 at 11:46:00 AM PDT  
Blogger dan in marin said...

Steve, I too like the blues brothers look

Dan

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 at 7:13:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Dolph Brust said...

The side burns are classic for a few years ago.

***Dolph

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 at 4:56:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Steve Rosenbach said...

Dan - it *is* a Blues Brothers look, isn't it!? That never occurred to me before. I think it's the skinny tie that cinches it.

Plus, at the time, I wasn't married, which means I was a Sole Man

Ouch - sorry for that terrible pun!

Thursday, July 15, 2010 at 7:42:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment