Thursday, June 25, 2009

Paying it Forward, Take Two

Hi Folks,

I would like to give this camera to someone who will actually use it. I am offering it here first to see if any of you want it, or know of someone who is interested in using a film camera. The camera is a vintage Nikon FM. I had it checked out by a professional repairman, and the camera is performing to within factory specifications. I also had him replace all the light seals at the same time, so this camera is ready for action! All functions work on the FM, and the only obvious flaw on the camera is a slight dent/malformation in the prism housing, which does not affect functionality at all. This is the story of how I acquired the FM almost two years ago:


I promised that guy that I would use the camera, and I did. You can find numerous pictures posted here that were taken with that camera.

The lens that I am giving with this camera is not the lens in the picture. I am giving a Vivitar 28-70mm f3.5-4.8 Macro Zoom. This lens uses a 52mm filter, and the glass is pristine, and focusing action is smooth. The only fault of the lens is in the push-pull zoom action, which is extremely stiff.

The batteries are not included, and if you are not local, you'll pay for shipping cost.

Let me know if you are interested.

--Warren

Picture of Camera:

6 Comments:

Blogger Steve Rosenbach said...

oooooooooooh! A beautiful *black* Nikon FM! I would love to have this one, but I don't want to be a pig, as Warren already gave me a very nice chrome FM earlier this year.

How about I send the chrome FM to the 2nd person who answers in exchange for this one? The chrome FM has a very sharp Nikon 50mm f/1.8) (I have a 2nd 50mm lens from a Nikon EM).

BTW, I meant to report this before - the Walgreens film I bought when I was in SF was extremely grainy- I'll post some of the scans soon, but it because of the film, it didn't show off the FM's abilities. - I have some new FM photos taken on Kodak Gold ISO 200 that I will develop and scan soon.

Best regards,
SteveR

Friday, June 26, 2009 at 8:29:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Hey Steve, this is guilt-free GAS satisfaction, :) LOL!

If you really want the black FM, I'll send it to you, and you can find a local photographer or student to take (and use) the chrome FM if nobody here wants it. Or you can just keep both!

Let's wait a little while to see if anyone else is interested.

--Warren

Friday, June 26, 2009 at 8:40:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Warren T. said...

oh yeah, thanks for the report on the Walgreens film. I was always curious to try some. Was it the ISO 400 stuff?

--WT

Friday, June 26, 2009 at 8:42:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Steve Rosenbach said...

Thanks Warren!

>> guilt-free GAS satisfaction<<
;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

>>If you really want the black FM, I'll send it to you, and you can find a local photographer or student to take (and use) the chrome FM if nobody here wants it.<< Yeah, I'd love to have the black one - and that's a great idea to give away the chrome FM to a deserving person! I'm sure I can find one. - as you say, let's wait a while to see other responses,though.

The Walgreens film was ISO 200 - you CAN'T BELIEVE the grain!! I think it was defective - I can't imagine any film being this bad ;-)

Sandy wanted a scanner, so I just got an Epson V500 - it's supposed to do a very good job on 35mm film - so I'll try rescanning some earlier negs from the FM that Ritz scanned at 1700x1000 - they should be fine.

Thanks again,
SteveR

P.S. - when I was in SovCam mode, I used to always shoot Fuji 100 or 200 print film. This is the stuff you can buy at Rite-Aid or CVS (or usually, even Walgreens or many supermarkets) - I'd often find it at less than $1 a roll with a coupon. It worked fine. I think the last place I got it from was a Ritz Camera store.

Friday, June 26, 2009 at 9:04:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Warren T. said...

i had the misfortune of shooting some expired Kodak Max 400 and 800, and it was the some of the worse film that I ever used. The colors were murky and grain was pronounced and ill defined. A true waste of effort.

i want to try some Ektar 100. I see examples posted on other forums, and I'm very impressed by the look of that film.

I've been shooting Fuji Superia Xtra 400, and I've gotten good results from it.

--WT

Friday, June 26, 2009 at 9:15:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Ted M said...

I used to use Walgreens 200, and you could tell from the box whether it was Fuji or Agfa (now probably Fuji).

However, if you browse around the film forums, you'll likely find much better film at or below the prices of the Drugstore films.

My last film purchases were at < $1.00 per roll for Reala 100, and a couple of versions of Kodak Portra.

Friday, June 26, 2009 at 9:41:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment