Saturday, June 20, 2009

Dan in Marin


I was born and raised in SF in the 50s and 60s. My first experience with photography was a summer school photo class at Parkside Grammar. We built a pin hole and shot and developed some local neighborhood scenes. My best friend was more heavily involved, and was able to afford first a Nikkormat , which he eventually sold to me and then a Hasselblad. We were both 14 and armed with these ventured throughout the city shooting anything that intrigued us. Unfortunately, most of this work was lost through time, but the urge to capture life on film and now digitally was instilled in me. Our technique at the time was to shoot all of our film and something good was bound to result. I am pretty much into the same technique and digital has allowed me to practice this in a less expensive way.
I have been using a Digital SLR now for about three years (Canon 5D MK I) and continue to practice and try to capture what I see, sometimes it works and obviously most of the time "ack".
I currently, work in SF and live in West Marin so I shoot a lot of landscapes and macro flowers. I am just retiring from a 35 year career in horticulture/arboriculture and hope to start a BFA or MFA program in photography. Although, I consider myself strictly an amateur, I am enthusiastic and hope to hone my skills. Hopefully, by sharing some of my shots I can learn from you all. I met Warren through his wife Gail (we work together) and look forward to posting some of my work. I truly appreciate the broad spectrum of great work posted on the forum.
The photo is from Mt. Barnabe (about 1,800' elevation) looking towards Tomales Bay, I liked the velvet texture of the hills. I had to do some split toning work because the sky was way too washed out. Shot with a 17-40 at 40, f22, iso 250 and a shutter speed of 200 because the wind was really blowing.

Dan

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Lea said...

Hurray --looking forward to seeing your flower macros :) I love those too!

Saturday, June 20, 2009 at 7:20:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Steve Rosenbach said...

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the blog!

Sunday, June 21, 2009 at 7:49:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Hi Dan,

Thanks for posting your into/bio here. I was wondering if there was a reason why you chose to use f22 on this shot?

Also, I'm not familiar with Canon, is the 5D MkI a full frame camera?

thanks,

WT

Monday, June 22, 2009 at 10:30:00 AM PDT  
Blogger dan in marin said...

Hello everyone, looking forward to sharing and learning from you all.

Warren, the 5d is a full frame. I originally had a significant amount of foreground very close to the lens in the shot and decided it was not adding anything. I used f22 to keep the relatively close area within the DOF. Is there another technique to use if I wanted a distant shot and close foreground in DOF?

Monday, June 22, 2009 at 6:26:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Dan, I was asking about your usage of f22 because on a digital sensor, usage of small apertures may result in diffraction issues (loss of sharpness). You must have had something very close in the foreground? F22 would give you a DOF of around 5 ft to infinity on a 40mm, right?

--Warren

Monday, June 22, 2009 at 9:30:00 PM PDT  
Blogger dan in marin said...

Warren, you are right about the DOF, but I was not aware of a lack of clarity or sharpness from a lens stopped all the way down. I am familiar with soft corners when a lens is opened all of the way. I will have to experiment and see if f18 vs f22 is discernable.

thanx

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 at 5:56:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Dan,

Read the articles below (don't forget to read the linked sample articles on digilloyd too):

http://diglloyd.com/diglloyd/free/Diffraction/index.html

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/diffraction-photography.htm

--Warren

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 at 7:11:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment