Thursday, June 04, 2009

Leica M8 mini-review

A few weeks ago I ended up getting a Leica M8. I'm aware of the issues this camera has had since it came out a few years ago, but wanted to try one out first hand. I didn't have high expectations, but so far I like the image quality, size, and haven't had any major issues with coding of lenses or filters. I think I will keep it for awhile.

The body feels much more solid than the other digital rangefinder, the Epson RD-1, and has a larger sensor. It's about the same size as a film M body, which is quite compact, especially coupled with a small lens. The shutter is noticeably quieter than an SLR, but about the same as a film M. The latest firmware update allows the use of coded or uncoded lenses, and with or without UV/IR filters. I have UV/IR filters for all of my M lenses except for 2, but haven't seen the need for them, and have primarily been shooting in color mode. The filters might be a good idea if you plan to shoot black synthetics in color, and coding of ultra wide lenses (< 28mm) might have an effect on vignetting, but so far 28mm uncoded, and without filters has not been a problem for me.

What slows me down with this camera (as well as most digital cameras) is that I have to go into the menus to change WB and ISO, there is no dedicated dial for these functions. Also to view the histogram, you have to press a display/info. button instead of having the histogram overlay the main image by default. But other than these minor issues, the camera takes great photos and has less of a crop factor than the Epson (1.3 vs 1.5 for the Epson). I've been using the following lenses with the M8 - Canon, 28/2.8, Summicron 35/2, CV 40/1.4, Summilux v2 50/1.4, and Summilux 75/1.4 (which this photo was taken with, at ISO 640, f1.4, 1/20th second). One feature that is faster than the Epson is AE lock, which is just pressing down the shutter half-way like focus lock on an AF DSLR.

The M8 has the same # of megapixels as my DSLR, but my DSLR images pale in comparison to the images from the M8. Could be the lenses, but the DSLR (mine is the smallest available) with it's big mirror slapping prism and shutter, extra high contrast colors, and gobs of molded cheap plastic, make the small M8 with faster and smaller prime lens a much more enjoyable tool.
Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

Blogger Warren T. said...

Great review, Ted! Thanks for posting this.

--Warren

Thursday, June 4, 2009 at 3:45:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Eric said...

Great shot of the cat!

Friday, June 12, 2009 at 12:55:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment