Wednesday, July 18, 2007

I Adopted a Nikon FM

Hi Gang,

I've been meaning to post this for six months, but only got around to it just now. I was browsing Craigslist as I usually do about six months ago and I came upon an ad for a FREE Nikon FM body. I know that film cameras have really dropped in value, but this was ridiculous!

I immediately emailed the person who listed it, and I got an immediate response. The camera was in good working condition. The only thing that it needed was new foam light seals and foam for the mirror cushion. This was too good to pass up because I've never had the pleasure of owning a FM body.

Fortunately, the camera was nearby in San Francisco, so I drove to pick it up. I learned that the guy had recently gone digital and he wanted the FM body to go to someone who would continue to make good use of it. I promised him that I would put it to good use. Just for fun, he also gave me the rotted, disintegrated original case for the camera. I thought I'd take a picture of the case and post it here before I throw it away.

After I got the camera home, I checked it out and found that all the functions seem to work fine, and the only major cosmetic problem was a pronounced dent on the prism where it had apparently been dropped at some time it its life. I purchased a foam sealing kit from Ebay but I have not had time to work on it yet.

When I finally run some film through the camera, I'm sure you'll see the results here on the forum.

--Warren

Here's the Nikon FM with my 35mm f2.0 mounted:




Here's the case that has seen better days:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment