Saturday, July 07, 2007

Dragonfly

I spotted several dragonfly at a pool in the Belvedere Vinyards garden just outside of Healdsburg CA, and was struck by the sharp leaves, and translucent wings and red-to-clear color of the insects. The darkness of the water further set the colors off.

Using an 18-125 Sigma set at 125mm (for comfortable, non-intrusive working distance), f9, 1/80 sec. I shot several images, with this one coming out the best composition. Post-production Photoshop cropping and sharpening produced this result.

As this was a handheld shot, I only wished I had a tripod to give added stability and clarity to the image. In retrospect, I also could have gone to 5.6 and halved my shutter speed to further reduce shake without sacrificing much clarity.

2 Comments:

Blogger Warren T. said...

Dennis!!! Nice to see you here again!

I really like this picture. You have a steady hand to be able to shoot this at 1/80 at 125mm. I like the vivid color of the dragonfly. the colors of the insect and the leaves are nicely contasted by the black background. I also like how the leaves simultaneouly point to, and frame the dragonfly.

I don't think using f5.6 would be an improvement because it would have caused a shallower depth of field. This would have caused more of the leaves to be thrown out of focus. I think DOF is balanced just right in this shot.

--WT

Sunday, July 8, 2007 at 1:02:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Eric said...

Nice shot, Dennis. Looks like something out of a magazine.

Eric

Monday, July 9, 2007 at 12:03:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment