Sunday, July 15, 2007

A New Camera




I've been using a Nikon D50 for the last six weeks. I thought I would share some of the photos and impressions with the camera. This is my first digital SLR (yeah, what took me so long!), after using 35mm SLRs for more than thirty years. The D50 came with the 18-55mm kit lens and I've modified some of my old manual focus Nikkor lenses to work on the camera. Nikon AI lenses do not need to be modified. The downside with using these old lenses is that the meter and autofocus will not work.

The first photo was made with a 28mm Nikkor. The second shot is with a 55mm Micro Nikkor.

Here's what's good about the D50: It's got a good sensor. Colors are bright and require little adjustment. If you like saturated colors, this is great! The camera is light and easy to carry. It feels like a Nikon N80 or N8008.

The bad news: The kit lens is cheap and not very sharp. The viewfinder is difficult to focus with manual focus lenses. And as stated earlier, the meter won't work with older lenses.

3 Comments:

Blogger Warren T. said...

Hi Martin,

Congratulations on the new camera!

Hey! is that my former 55mm Micro that you used? I can't remember if it was you who I horstraded that lens with for some other camera gear.

Nice shots, BTW.

When I use MF lenses on my D100, I usually rely on the camera's electronic in-focus indicator to help with focusing.

I often use my older lenses on my D100 even though the meter doesn't work with them. The combo of histogram and blinking highlights indicators on the LCD display help to quickly arrive at the correct exposure.

--WT

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 at 11:03:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Dolph Brust said...

Martin,

I always enjoy your work. I look forward to more great shorts.

Thanks for sharing.

dolph

Sunday, July 22, 2007 at 11:43:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Steve Rosenbach said...

Martin,

Welcome to the Dark Side!

You're already putting your new DSLR to great use - these are wonderful photos.

Best regards
SteveR

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 at 10:32:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment