Sunday, June 08, 2008

Hey, I know this guy!

Maybe not a spectacular photo to enlarge, frame, and post in the living room, but possibly recognizable by a few here! I was walking around yesterday with some new old stuff, an F3 SLR, and one of the earliest zooms, a 43-83 doing a test roll, and came upon this sign about 3 blocks from my house. From previously meeting and talking with Benson, I had always thought he worked at this house across the street from this sign, that also is or was a dental business.

So when I came across this sign across the street, which I drive by about 4 times a day, but rarely walk past I was very suprised.

The other Nikon lenses I picked up yesterday at the San Jose photo show are an old non AI 28/2.8, and an AI 80-200 4.5 zoom, complete with manual and registration cards! The other photos from this roll (pretty boring... are here. Oh, and I also picked up a couple more Yashica GSNs, because I heard they are the best RF ever! :D
Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

Blogger Warren T. said...

You acquired another F3? I thought you were done with that model? You got a good haul of photo gear :).

The 43-86 is rather infamous for being on the soft side. Dennis F. had an early version that lived up to that reputation. But back when that lens first came out, it was the only short zoom game in town. I’d look forward to seeing more shots from this combo and hearing your impressions of the 43-86.

Sunday, June 8, 2008 at 10:46:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Benson said...

Hey, I know that guy too, as well as a few other names on that sign! ;-)

I knew you lived close by but did not realize you are THAT close to my office.

Monday, June 9, 2008 at 8:33:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Ted M said...

Hi Warren, I couldn't resist getting another F3, and these lenses were incredibly reasonable, things I dreamed about decades ago, so I couldn't resist, though I do know the non AIs may not meter and/or fit on some of the newer bodies.

My 43-83 is one of the first batch, so non AI, and also the first optical solution (a major change in elements/groups came in '76 I think), and there were about 4 or so different versions with different mounts, coatings. It's definitely soft, and also noticed some pincushion distortion at the wide side, but the bokeh is nice, and the softness reminds me of old Leica lenses, so I'm not disappointed at all.

Benson, yes, I'm that close!! In fact the next time I get food stuck in my mouth from popcorn or whatever, it might be faster to walk over to see you than to brush and floss ;)

Monday, June 9, 2008 at 8:59:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment