Thursday, March 30, 2006

Parliament Hill, Ottawa PQ - Canon A40We'll be heading up to Ottawa in a few weeks to visit Sandy's family. I think Ottawa is a beautiful little city... between April and October. Actually, it's very beautiful any time of the year, but since I am a total cold-weather wimp, and since Ottawa is the second-coldest capital city in the world, I try to stay away November through March.

So anyway, I'm already thinking about photo opportunities there. Our last visit was in mid-April 2003. I took two old film cameras with me and my then-almost-new Canon A40 2MP digicam. This time, I'll be going all-digital.

But the main difference, of course, is not the equipment, but the photographer. Warren and I were talking about that yesterday, and it's something we both subscribe to. I now have three whole years additional experience - thousands of photos, and I've learned a lot from all that. If I have a chance, I'll try shooting some of the same scenes I did three years ago and see if there's a difference.

The photo above is from our last visit, taken with the Canon A40 and given the Scott Kelby Photoshop Elements B&W treatment. It's on a path along the edge of Parliament Hill, a bluff overlooking the Ottawa River.

3 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

It's definitely the photographer. I've seen some really cool stuff taken with some pretty funky cameras, and I've seen some really bad stuff with some cameras that do everything except wash the dishes.

Eric

Thursday, March 30, 2006 at 7:53:00 AM PST  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Gail and I were in Ottawa and the rest of Eastern Canada in the late 90's. We flew into Montreal and took the train between cities, and flew out of Toronto. It was a great trip. I remember this spot on Parliament Hill. The government buildings in Ottawa are very nice. Someday I'll need to dig out those old photos to see if any are worth posting here.

I look forward to seeing your new "view" of Ottawa. This 3 years old one is very nice. It has the classic leading lines from the fence, directing attention to the main subject.

--Warren

Thursday, March 30, 2006 at 8:05:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quick shutter-action and a nice shot! I wonder what it would be like if say "an inch" was removed from the right-hand edge thereby doing without the "hook" in particular. Perhaps displaying it in a little-more-than square format then.
PAT

Monday, April 10, 2006 at 5:29:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment