Friday, August 23, 2013

Late Afternoon on the Lands End Trail

Lumix G5, Lumix 100-300mm

I went for a walk one day a few weeks ago on the Lands End Trail in the late afternoon. I brought only my 100-300mm lens because I was hoping to photograph a hawk that I've seen there before. 

Well, I didn't see very many birds at all that day, but I did see some nice later afternoon light on some wildflowers:

"Three"

I really liked the backlighting on this yellow one:


Just when I thought that I wouldn't see a hawk on this walk, I spotted one flying onto a branch in the distance. I quickly and quietly walked under that tree, and barely managed to grab a shot just as it took off again.

"Lift-off"


--Warren

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous lena said...

Beautiful wildflowers, nice light capture, I do like second picture too, great close up. Cool active catch of hawk...:-)

Lena,

Saturday, August 24, 2013 at 9:41:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great Shots Warren! Question? Your shots of the Flowers you did with this lens. Can you share your approach and settings. They are so crisp and clear. How far back are you standing? Without drowning you in questions.

~Carl~

Sunday, August 25, 2013 at 8:47:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Hi Carl, thanks for the comments.

The settings for the red flowers shot were: 1/320, f4.5 ISO 200, @ 150mm

The settings for the yellow flower shot were: 1/400, f5.3, ISO 1600, @ 240mm.

In both cases, I was standing close the minimum focusing distance of the 100-300mm lens, which is around 1.5 Meter away from the subject.

These shots were taken handheld because I do not like to use a tripod in my photography if I don't have to. So because of that I had to rely on the image stabilization in the lens, and make sure my other setting would allow me to successfully hand hold for the shots.

As I walked along the hiking trail, I noticed this patch of flowers along the trail being lit up by late afternoon sun, so I decided to see if I could capture what I saw using the equipment at hand.

I usually go out with a minimal amount of gear.

Thanks for asking the question, and starting a discussion.

--Warren

Sunday, August 25, 2013 at 11:00:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment