Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Photography with Warren's Nikon F2






I finally took the Nikon F2 that Warren generously gave me a few years ago out for a shoot. Here are some images from a roll of Kodak Gold 200 taken in Annapolis last Saturday afternoon. I took the roll to Costco (Price Club) and they developed and scanned the negatives for me (the scanning resolution works out to 19 megapixels!)

I used a Nikkor 43-86mm f/3.5 zoom, a classic lens, the first version of which is reputed by some to be the worst lens Nikon ever made. This one is the 11-element 1976 AI version. I rather liked its performance, which was limited anyway by my presbyopic ability to focus properly without a prescription eyepiece.

I made some very slight adjustments for exposure and color temperature in Adobe Camera Raw, then added a very little bit of sharpening in Photoshop to get these end results. I'm very happy with the colors, but the grain of the film is very apparent, even at less than 50% magnification in Photoshop (hard to see in these 800-pixel, web-sized images.) I attribute that to the film itself, and will try Kodak Ektar 100 or Portra 160, both of which are said to be much better in terms of grain and suitability for scanning.

In any event, I am enjoying displaying and using these classic cameras. With my recent attack of Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS,) I've already acquired far too many classic SLRs in the past month or so, but at least they'll keep Warren's two Nikons company. I'll be shooting most of them over the next few weeks and months and will report back on them as well.

Thanks again Warren!

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Warren T. said...

It's nice to see folks posting some film shots on here :)

It looks like your 43-86mm is performing well.

Thanks for posting these F2 shots :)

--Warren

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 at 10:20:00 PM PST  
Blogger tedm said...

Great photos Steve. I have an early '70s single coated, 9 element version of this lens. I like it a lot, compact, nice zoom range, and not overly sharp, just right for portraits, probably not great for architecture shots.

Here's some great history on this ground breaking lens:

http://imaging.nikon.com/history/nikkor/4/index.htm

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 at 10:27:00 PM PST  
Blogger Steve Rosenbach said...

Ted - thanks for that link - I really enjoyed reading about the history of the lens. It's a great write-up, and puts the "worst lens" accusation, which I think is way too harsh anyway, into an understandable context.

I especially liked this summary by Mr. Oshita:

"But if pushed for a snap assessment, I think that the most appropriate single word would be 'practical'."

to which I would add, "... and good-looking, too!" ;-)

Warren - thank you again for your generous gift of this camera - I'm very sorry it took me so long to use it. It was great to hold and use such a weighty, classic SLR again... it took me back to 1968-77, when I had a Nikon F Photomic T - a nice trip ;-)

Thursday, November 10, 2011 at 4:53:00 AM PST  
Blogger dan in marin said...

Steve, echoing Warren glad to see you using film. I too gave Warren a Nikon body and lenses a few years back and he has been posting quite a few great film scans. I especially like your character studies, nicely done.

Dan

Thursday, November 10, 2011 at 8:04:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment