Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Chinatown Scenes

Nikon D100, Nikkor 24mm f2.8 AF

Last Sunday we went for a walk in Chinatown, and I decided to bring the D100 and Nikkor 24mm for a change. I wanted to shoot with a 35mm FOV (35mm equiv.) and also to exercise the old D100. I have to say that after shooting with mostly my Mu-43 gear for over a year, the D100 felt like a massive beast. And I was only using a lightweight 24mm AF prime lens on it. I must be getting old :).

This first picture is not in Chinatown. It was in the Sunset District, and was kind of a 'warm up' shot. Does anyone else do 'warm up' shots?

The Sunset is known for its pastel colored homes, and here we have some pastel mixed with weeds and old rusty gas meters:



Gail poses in front of the famous Chinatown Gate. She's holding a SF tour book, and a Starbucks coffee. Yes, we often look like tourists in our own town, especially this day because she decided to do part of a walking tour that was suggested in that book just for fun:



This is an old, dingy stairway in a building on Stockton Street. We were on our way up to the 4th floor Buddhist Temple where there was a big sign that says: "Do not touch anything", and a xeroxed picture of a Nikon DSLR with a bold slash across it (no pictures allowed). It was eerily quiet compared to the busy street below:



Waiting on a red light at an intersection:



Fast paced shoppers in action:



It was hot in the sun that day. This young mom faced her child away from the sun while waiting for (probably) Grandma to finish shopping:



To me, the faces here reveal, a mother who is pleased to be out and about, and a daughter who feels a sense of obligation to take her out:



"_RIENTAL HOUSE of BEAUTY". I've been photographing this same building for years, and it has looked the same for years, sort of an urban decay or historical preservation depending on how you look at it:




--Warren

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger tedm said...

Hi Warren, these are wonderful photos. I have a theory that when you are holding the hefty Nikon, you have a tendency to take broader wider angle shots, while with your m4/3 setup, you tend to crop tighter or go for more artsy type shots. All are good, and I could be wrong, just a guess. My favorite is the mother and daughter shot from the hip photo. I think your description nailed the scenario, and the angle is interesting. Great photos!

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 at 10:53:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Hi Ted,

Thanks for the comments, they're much appreciated. That's a very interesting and observant theory. I also think it may be a question of using the right tool for the occasion. The widest that I can go right now on Mu-43 is 14mm (28mm equiv in 35mm), which is fine but in order to get that focal length, I need to use the Lumix 14-45mm zoom lens. I prefer to shoot with prime lenses. Every once in a while, I like to shoot wider, and I can only do so by using my dslr or film bodies.

Last weekend I felt like shooting with a 35mm equiv. FOV on a digital. So out came the D100 w/24mm prime.

On the Mu-43 side, I have been exploring and enjoying the long tele-zoom. The 45-200mm (90-400mm 35mm equiv) is something that I have not had convenient access to until now. The G1 w/45-200mm is compact, lightweight, and image stabilized. I wouldn't relish lugging a similar range of lenses in film or aps-c format because of their inevitable bulk and weight.

I think I mentioned this before, but my plan for a compact prime kit in Mu-43 is:

14mm Lumix (future acquisition)
20mm Lumix
40mm Hexanon (legacy/adapted)

I will be very happy if someone comes out with a 12mm native prime lens in Mu-43, but I'm not holding my breath for that to happen anytime soon.

--Warren

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 at 1:55:00 PM PDT  
Blogger dan in marin said...

Interesting theory by Ted, working in that format and not in a 35mm format, I too think it is a matter of the equipment on hand. Both formats lend themselves to wide or tight compostions.

I believe the 4/3 is just taking off and we will have super wide equipment available soon.

Warren, I really like your staircase image, very compelling with the light and the angle you chose.

Your street scenes are very nice and capture the feeling of a busy day in the district.

Dan

Saturday, April 16, 2011 at 11:33:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Simon Chan said...

Warren, you have the look of photo journalist. Maybe that's why people let you take their photos.

Saturday, April 23, 2011 at 10:34:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Lea said...

Hi Warren, I do find myself thinking of some shots as warm-ups. And I like that one of yours the best here. It's a sweet garden amidst concrete, where funny looking gas-meter-creatures live.

Monday, April 25, 2011 at 12:41:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment