Saturday, March 13, 2010

Dutch Windmill - Golden Gate Park

Panasonic DMC-G1, Lumix 14-45mm

This is the Dutch Windmill in the Queen Wilhelmina Tulip Garden in Golden Gate Park. The original image was color. I converted to B&W in PS.

I am just starting to get used to my new camera. This shot is from my first outing with it. It's a Panasonic DMC-G1. You can read one of many reviews of the camera on this web page (linked here). The camera and lens pictured in the review are identical to mine. The G1 is the world's first Micro 4/3 camera. The 4/3 format is a joint venture by Olympus and Panasonic (Panasonic is in partnership with Leica for their optical designs).

There are many reasons, features, and advantages that factored into my choice of this format and system. That information would be too much to post here, and if you want to get the full story, it might be better done in person or over the phone. :)

I put a lot of thought and research into my decision, and I hope this format survives for a while. Over the next few posts from this camera, maybe I'll note some of the special or notable features of this camera. As you probably know, I recently tested out both Dan's Canon S90 and Dennis F.'s Canon G11, but in the end, I decided to go with the Panny G1 instead.

--Warren

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger dan in marin said...

First impressions seem real good Warren. I will be interested to see its performance in low light and high ISO.

Dan

Monday, March 15, 2010 at 8:07:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Dan, the picture of the Hot Wheel toy in the post above was taken handheld at ISO 800, 1/15 f5.6 @ 45mm.

IQ at ISO 800 is reasonably good, but above that, noise is noticeable.

--WT

Monday, March 15, 2010 at 8:27:00 AM PDT  
Blogger dan in marin said...

Warren,

The s90 starts to degrade above ISO400, so the G1 is a big step up. The s90 and G11 both have the same sensor, with the view finder the big difference. You probably saw the similarities.

Dan

Monday, March 15, 2010 at 11:07:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment