Saturday, June 27, 2009

Pump Station?

Nikon F4s, Nikkor 50mm f1.4, Kodak 400CN

I think Dan M. would know what this really is. I think this shed made out of cement blocks is housing the pumping equipment for the lake, right Dan?

This is at the other side of Lloyd Lake where the Portals of the Past is found. Seeing things like this reminds us that the setting, though it's very nice, is man-made.

I wondered if it was possible to make a picture of this stark, utilitarian object that was somehow aesthetically pleasing... Was I successful?

--Warren

2 Comments:

Blogger Steve Rosenbach said...

>>Was I successful?<<
Yes! I like it! The juxtaposition of the wild, random plant growth with something so rectilinear and manmade is very cool. It works well in B&W. Very compelling.

I call this sort of photo "rust, rot, and decay" - and I've seen a lot of really excellent images of this type - often at abandoned mental institutions or prisons.

Saturday, June 27, 2009 at 7:52:00 AM PDT  
Blogger dan in marin said...

Right Warren. The water is pumped to the highest elevation in the park (Stow Lake) from wells located in the west end. Gravity then is used to move water throughout the irrigation and lakes thoughout the park. Acutally, only the chain of lakes is technically natural. They were more like seasonal or vernal water systems. I have attached a photo from the turn of the century that shows the portals in the background. It was from a "fashion shoot" back then.

Dan

Saturday, June 27, 2009 at 9:48:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment