Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Mountains!


Last weekend I had the opportunity to climb up part of Mount Rainier, the tallest mountain in the state of Washington. We went as high as Camp Muir, elevation 10,000 ft. It was fantastic weather and even more fantastic scenery...




That's Mount Adams in the distance. It's about 100 miles from Rainier.





And this is Mt Rainier from where we started. It was a 9 mile hike to basecamp, climing a total elevation gain of 4,600ft.

The big 'tumor-like' rock face at the top right is how far up we went.

3 Comments:

Blogger Warren T. said...

Wow, cool story and pictures, Lea!

The first photo makes feel like I'm in a small plane and I banking to make a right turn.

--WT

Thursday, July 24, 2008 at 1:46:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Eric said...

Great shots, Lea. I esp like the first one. It made me think that I was looking at the curvature of the earth. Hey, also kinda reminds me of "The Sound of Music". Hmmm...Is that a compliment or not???

Thursday, July 24, 2008 at 6:35:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Lea said...

thx for the comments :) sound of music? -- doesn't offend me, it's interesting to hear what you think!

Sunday, July 27, 2008 at 10:59:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment