Monday, July 30, 2007

A Day at the Zoo...

Lappet-Faced VultureI took our almost-12-year-old nephew Josh, a budding nature photographer, to the Maryland Zoo in Baltimore last weekend - I haven't been their since our own kids were younger than Josh. My brother Mark (Josh's dad) decided to come at the last minute, and we had a great boys' day out, roaming around the zoo and photographing the animals.

Of about 80 or so shots I took, most were for the birds, but some photos I took of some birds turned out pretty good. The best was this one of a handsome Lappet-Faced Vulture (Aegypius tracheliotus). This bird, an old-world vulture, is in the African exhibit at the Zoo. He was kind enough to sit still for me while I composed the photo. Who knew that a vulture could be so good-looking?

Mark Rosenbach - Lion of BaltimoreJosh, at almost twelve, is a little to sophisticated to fall for the various kids' stuff spread around the zoo, but 47-year-old dad Mark and his 57-year-old brother me couldn't resist a little childish fooling around. Here is Mark doing a wonderful job posing as a lion.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lea said...

A very creative post Steve! Makes me feel like a little kid again looking at that lion painting ;) Those things were always so fun!! lol..

And I guess still are, right? =D

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 at 8:01:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Warren T. said...

That's a striking vulture shot! You captured some incredible detail on the feathers and beak. Did you use the A620 for this picture?

--WT

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 at 8:49:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Dolph Brust said...

Steve,

How did you get the bird to stay still? I love taking outdoor shots of the various birds down here in Florida, but they move and I don't get the shot. Your shot is great!

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 at 5:16:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Steve Rosenbach said...

Thanks for your comments, everyone!

Warren - I took this with a 70-300mm Sigma Zoom on my Canon Digital Rebel

Dolph - the great thing about this vulture is that he didn't move very much at all. He would move his head, mostly, but it would be several seconds even between his head-moves. Very cooperative of him!

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 at 5:50:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Warren T. said...

i suspected that this was taken with a dslr. I would have been blown away if you said that this was taken with your A620 :).

--WT

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 at 5:59:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment