Saturday, August 12, 2006

Spanish Tile Mountain


Nikon D100, Nikkor 200mm f4, Tokina 2X doubler, 1/640 f8

I have gotten used to shooting the D100 as a meterless dslr body, using the histogram display as a quasi-meter. I have a 200 f4 Nikkor that was home converted (dremel tool) to ai, so this lens cannot mount on the D100 body. I realized that I had a Tokina 2x teleconverter that IS ai (auto-indexing). So I found out that I could use the doubler with the 200mm Nikkor on the D100.

This gives me an effective focal length of 600mm (!!!). Now I have an alternative to using my 500mm reflex on the dslr. While the 500mm is compact and useful, sometimes the out of focus highlight areas have that typical unsightly reflex lens donut problem.

This was one of my test shots from out the back window of our house. I found out that images are soft at f4 and f5.6. It looks acceptably sharp by f8 (like this one). So this is a sunny day lens if I want to hand hold, or for tripod use under low light conditions.

--Warren

3 Comments:

Blogger Lea said...

I won't pretend to know what that camera-tech talk is about -- but I really like the colours :D

It's an interesting arrangement!

Saturday, August 12, 2006 at 11:35:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Dolph Brust said...

Warren,

Nice use of the equipment. I was looking at getting a doubler for my D70. I want to go on an outdoor photo safari next year, and most of the people that go on these have long lens. I have the 300, but I want to get something a little more....never have enough.

Nice shot, with great color contrast. Is this all you shot from your window? What about a pic of the Golden Gate Towers?

Sunday, August 13, 2006 at 8:24:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Thanks.

Yeah, I suppose I should try my doubler on the 500mm reflex :). That would give me an effective focal length of 1500mm (!!!).

I wish I could see the GG towers from my house, but I can't.

--WT

Sunday, August 13, 2006 at 8:29:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment