Friday, September 17, 2004

T-Mobile International 1


DSC_0068
Originally uploaded by bhwong.

Here is my first post. This is my 4th T-Mobile International bicycle race (previously known as the San Francisco Gran Prix). Over the prior 3 years, I've taken pictures but this is the first year with my more professional camera, a newly acquired Nikon D70. What a difference in overall speed of focusing, exposure, and writing to memory. This first photo was taken at 70mm, 1/640, f4.5. I have always loved the illusion of speed by following the subject and blurring the background. These guys are zipping by very quickly so it is not just an illusion but I can definitely see how sports photographers need to take hundreds of shots to get the few really good photos.

2 Comments:

Blogger martin said...

A very nice photograph! Using your panning technique you have captured the speed and intensity of the moment. Nice that the other two bikers are blurred and that the focus is directed at just one biker.

Saturday, September 18, 2004 at 9:35:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Great shot! I can feel the excitement and speed of the chase. -Warren

Saturday, September 18, 2004 at 9:48:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment