Sunday, July 06, 2014

Portraits - Success in Self Doubt













Nikon D7000 - Nikkor 18-108 & 85mm - SB 900 & Acrylic Sheet as Soft box - Lightroom

We were going to do some long exposure shots with sparklers last night when the sky opened up into a torrential down poor causing us to change our plans. I was instantly thrust into a situation filled with personal doubt and unrelenting butterflies. The girls still wanted the photo shoot I promised.  What was I gonna do? A tiny apt filled with a house worth of items and no bare walls?

After 20 mins of pondering the situation and my options I slipped out the door to grab my light table I built out of translucent acrylic to use as my soft box and a white bed sheet from the closet as my back drop.

We moved the couch, table and two love seats to one side of the room barricading us in from the outside world. This gave me about a 4' x 4' space to work in unless I was standing on something.

These are a couple of the photos I shot from what ended up being an amazing experience and learning process. Not to mention the girls are very happy to.


~Carl~

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Lea said...

Nice to hear a story of success and overcoming your fear, Carl. Great lighting and variety of expression.

Sunday, July 6, 2014 at 10:12:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Where do you find such lovely models? :)

These are really nice poses and expressions. Were you happy with the exposure on #1, and the contrast on #2? Are those the looks that you were going for (technically)?

--Warren

Thursday, July 10, 2014 at 7:32:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Lea and Warren!

** I am not sure I had a choice in the matter. My girlfriend is stronger than me ** =)

Well I have mixed feelings about a lot of them. On one hand I thought most of the expressions were real and not forced but not happy I needed to have a catch light. I couldn't get both Speedlights to trigger without my on camera flash. So I pushed the blowout look a bit further than I will next time.

~Carl~

Friday, July 11, 2014 at 11:32:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment