Saturday, January 11, 2014

Out of the Ordinary

electric meter BGE

Hi everyone! I haven't posted for a while, so when I edited this photo just now, I decided to post it here first, rather than to Facebook, Flickr, or my blog.

Over the years, I've found that good, compelling images are everywhere. Our job as photographers is to isolate the interesting parts and exclude everything else. Easier said than done, but that's what I aim for... and maybe 5% of the time, if I'm very lucky, I make a decent image.

Today, I needed new tires and a bunch of other work for my 2004 Hyundai Elantra, and went to my trusted auto mechanics, which happens to also be a Goodyear franchise. They said I'd be their guest for a while, so I walked a block to a nearby Chick-fil-A for lunch and some reading. On my way back to the shop, I noticed this nice repeating pattern of electric meters mounted over a Goodyear yellow-and-blue paint scheme. The building itself is, frankly, pretty ugly, but I thought I could isolate these elements for a decent composition.

I didn't have even my little Canon S95 with me, but I did have my cell phone, which I used to make some snaps of the trio and the snazzy paint scheme.

So a little cropping and curve adjustment in Photoshop CC and a nice "mat" and "frame" added in Picasa resulted in what you see here.

I hope I succeeded in making something interesting "out of the ordinary."

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Lea said...

White bibs on the alien babies.

Saturday, January 11, 2014 at 9:21:00 PM PST  
Blogger Warren T. said...

Hi Steve,

We're honored that you chose our blog to debut this image. :)

It's a very nice image, signature SteveR, and I also enjoyed reading your write-up.

--Warren

Thursday, January 16, 2014 at 10:51:00 PM PST  
Blogger Dolph Brust said...

I agree with Lea...looks like little faces poking out from a port in the wall.

**Dolph

Friday, January 17, 2014 at 7:54:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment